Wireless 2 Router setup questions

Banderon

Limp Gawd
Hey all. I've got the following setup:

2 computers upstairs w/ the cable modem, and 2 comps downstairs.

Right now, the 2 upstairs comps are the only ones online, hooked up through a standard non-wireless linksys router, and the others aren't on connected.

I'm thinking of getting a wireless router. I wanna put the wireless router upstairs for the 2 comps, and bring the wired router I have now downstairs to connect it to the 2 comps, and connect a wireless access point to it.

Will that work? If I disable the routing function of the wired router, in effect making it a switch, will the access point work fine with the wireless router upstairs?

Yes, I have a similar setup at my house.

I have an ethernet router that serves my PC's upstairs and a wireless AP/router for my laptop downstairs.

Most wireless routers have a function to turn them into just an access point. For instance, Netgear uses a reserved IP. ie: xxx.xxx.xxx.99.

Just read into whatever wireless router you decide to buy and make sure that it is capable of this function.

Hope this helps

A wireless router already is an AP. It's actually a router w/ and integrated AP. There may be a button to turn off the router functionality. I could see that. If not, then just bypass the WAN port alltogether and use it as a switch/AP combo as you've already suggested.

My question is, I can link the two parts of the network via the access point and the wireless router, yes?

In other words, a wireless access point can link up to another access point, right? Not just a wirelss adaptor on a particular computer?

Back