• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Wired/Wireless Router recommendation

gregnash

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
2,164
Hey guys, I am turning to the experts here for some router recommendations.

My parents just recently purchased a Nintendo Wii (can do WPA2) and have wanted to setup wireless in their house for sometime. My mom would be using the signal for her work laptop upstair (~50ft through two sets of structural walls) and for the Wii. But here is the kicker, they are currently using a G4 Mac running Tiger or Panther. What is an easy, simple to use, and reliable (as they live and entire state away and I do not want to try troubleshooting over the phone) wired/wireless router for them? Currently, they have SBC broadband but I do not want them to get raped by the charges through SBC.

I know that Buffalos are supposedly good routers and I have never had an problems with my Linksys WRT54G v6 but what is something in the $40-$60 range.

Also, I am looking into getting the 7dbi High Gain antenna for my house as my bedroom TiVo seems to have problems connecting to my network (signal jumps from 40% to 66%). Is the High Gain antenna worth it? Will it give me the extended range necessary to get a consistant 60% signal strength.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unfortunately, I do not see anythin in the information for the WRT54G that shows MAC compatibility for the software??

I am thinking I might pick up the high gain antenna, that or see about getting a range extender in the living room.
 
Yeah in that price range I'd go w/ WRT54G.

I think High Gain antennas are a hit or miss. I've looked into getting one myself and was going to get this one: http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-2-4GHz...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1206538943&sr=8-1

Good price after rebate but I changed my mind and figure I'll probably just save the cash and put it towards a wireless n router.

Will the WRT54G handle online gaming (TF2) well? I just got a laptop, and will need a wireless router, but I don't know if I should get the WRT54GL (on sale at Newegg), or should I shell out more cash for something better (and if better, what should I get?) I also have a desktop, and a Wii.

Worst case, I'd be OK with buying the 'cheap' WRT54GL, and running a network cable for when I want to game on it.

*sorry for commondeering this thread, I just had similar questions!*
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unfortunately, I do not see anythin in the information for the WRT54G that shows MAC compatibility for the software??

Routers are OS independant. The router is configured via a web interface, so you can use whatever OS you want. 802.11g is 802.11g. You can use a Windows PC, Linux PC, Mac, iPhone, game console, whatever.

Will the WRT54G handle online gaming (TF2) well? I just got a laptop, and will need a wireless router, but I don't know if I should get the WRT54GL (on sale at Newegg), or should I shell out more cash for something better (and if better, what should I get?) I also have a desktop, and a Wii.

Worst case, I'd be OK with buying the 'cheap' WRT54GL, and running a network cable for when I want to game on it.

*sorry for commondeering this thread, I just had similar questions!*

WRT54G is fine for gaming. The WRT54GL is a sweet 802.11g router. That thing + OpenWRT = sweet.

(the stock WRTs don't allow many open TCP connection at once using the stock firmware, so I recommend installing something else if you are going to torrent or anything)
 
Back
Top