Wired & Wireless Connection 1 PC Simultaneously

Hall911

n00b
Good Morning everyone,

My problem is 2 fold, I have a DSL Connection in my bedroom, and a Cable Connection in my living room.

I would like to get a wireless router in order to start using the Cable connection in my bedroom.

Is it possible to use both the DSL Bandwidth and Cable modem Bandwidth on the same PC?
With the DSL being connected to a wired router, and the Cable Modem being accessed from a wireless router?

I have been using google and I cannot seem to find any good information. Any info or direction would be appreciated. Thank you.

How good are you at traffic balancing? :p To be honest it isn't worth it considering that it can only use one connection at a time since they both go to different locations, if it was a redundancy line it'd be easy. Why not drag a cable?

Load balancing/failover is best done at your router, using a router that supports multiple WANs. But the result isn't what's really useful for the home user, the benefits aren't realized unless you have a larger network..where the router will "spread the load".

For a single PC, say you have a 6 meg DSL connection and a 12 meg cable connection...a dual WAN router will not give you throughput of 18 megs. Your traffic will put placed on the WAN connection with the least traffic on it..and you'll see those speeds (example..up to 12 megs if it throws you on the cable WAN). However...a load balancing router will give a larger network about 18 overall megs worth of throughput at the same time, spread amongst all the users.

Running Windows desktop with more than 1x LAN connection will often result in pokier overall performance, so it's usually not desirable to multi-home Windows.

Thanks for the replies, Ill just swap the connections then the dsl is slower way slower than the cable modem.

Ill use the Cable for my bedroom and the dsl for the living room.

Back