wired/wireless combo network help

raj119

n00b
This might be a little long but I'll try to give you all information on my setup that might be applicable. I just recently got a laptop that I wanted to add to my home network. Before the laptop I had three computers linked through a wired linksys router and all three shared the internet and could see each other. I got a linksys wireless router a while back but shelved it after I couldn't get the port forwarding to work.

I decided to add the linksys wireless router to the network as a switch by changing it's IP and disabling DHCP. I configured the wireless options in the router, password protected the wireless portion and fired everything up. Here is the problem.

The laptop sees the wireless signal and I can login using the password. The laptop is receiving an IP from the wired router like it should and I can access the internet through the laptop. However, I can't see any of the other computers through the laptop and the other computers can't see the laptop. All software firewalls (including windows) are disabled and file sharing is enabled. The laptop is on the same work group as the others. The thing that is really driving me crazy is the fact that the laptops name shows up in the network but when I click on it from one of the wired computers I get the "you don't have permission to look at this computer" message.

Sorry about the long post but this is driving my nuts and I have found nothing on the net that addresses this issue. Thanks for any help.

Just thought I'd pass along the solution in case anyone else runs into this problem. For all of you amateur networkers out there, if you are going to use two routers in the same network, disable the firewall in the router that is acting like a switch.

I decided to start from scratch and check all of the settings in the wireless router, even though I was sure it was set up right. As soon as I saw the option for the firewall a light bulb illuminated over my head. All is well now and I am printing and sharing files from the laptop as we speak.

Back