Wired vs. Wireless routers...

SSlaytanic

Limp Gawd
Do people get wireless routers just because it's wireless? Or something else?

Also, isn't everything in wired faster/better than its wireless counterpart?

Would a high-end wireless (like the D-link DGL-4300) be as good as a wired counterpart in bittorrent?

Get them "just because it's wireless" Guess if you want wireless..you'd get one. Such as..you have a laptop and wish to use it all around your house.

Wired is for the most part faster..and on the average more problem free..more consistant. But..for internet use...where you probably have a 2, 3, 5, maybe a 10 meg connection....who cares if wireless is technically slower than wired. Have to think of what the bottleneck is here.

I wouldn't call the DLink 4300 "high end"..it's still a home grade router, granted..one of the better ones, but if wether it has higher horsepower than a wired router..depends on which wired router you're comparing it to. Assuming you may have meant it's purely wired sibling model...the 4100..I believe they share the same basic components under the hood...so they should perform quite close to each other.

Let me get this straight - I can buy a wireless router, and have a wired connection to my desktop, as if it was a wired router in the first place? With no signal/speed decrease because it's wired? To sum things up, when you buy a wireless router, it's wired, but with an add-on? (which is the wireless capability)

If so, oh man, I am definitely going with wireless with a new router.

SSlaytanic said:
Let me get this straight - I can buy a wireless router, and have a wired connection to my desktop, as if it was a wired router in the first place?
Yes

SSlaytanic said:
With no signal/speed decrease because it's wired?
If you're wired to a router it is just the same as being wired directly to the cable modem. There won't be any decrease because most of the routers out there can handle higher speeds. If you're accessing the router from a wirless network adapter you may get a low signal though.

SSlaytanic said:
To sum things up, when you buy a wireless router, it's wired, but with an add-on? (which is the wireless capability)
Exactly. You might want to open some of the ports in the router because some games need to access that inorder to play online.

If so, oh man, I am definitely going with wireless with a new router.

decade146 said:
If you're wired to a router it is just the same as being wired directly to the cable modem.

Not quite. The router still performs all of its "router functions", such as assigning a wired connection its own LAN IP address and using a firewall.

Back