Wired Networking Issue (Cable Not Working)

Squishdini

n00b
I am having some problems with my network. A couple years ago I had my house wired with cat5 so I could setup a network. It worked fine when it was setup. I then switched over to a wireless network. A day or so ago I decided to switch back to the wired method. I plugged the ethernet cable into my computer and everything worked fine. Today I go to use my computer and it says ethernet cable unplugged.

The computer I am using is on the 3rd floor of my house and the router is on the 1st floor. I checked the cable going from the router to the wall plate and the second wall plate to the computer on the 3rd floor. Both are plugged in. I then installed and uninstalled the network card drivers.

I then brought the computer downstairs and plugged it into the router directly. I used both the router to first wall plate cable, second wall plate cable to computer upstairs cable and they both worked fine. Am I right in assuming that the in-wall wiring must not be working somewhere? Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get a cheap cable tester to verify the cable is wired properly and has not degraded or become damaged.

Alternatively you can just cut off and re-terminate the ends at the wall plate or whatever. That usually works unless the cable was severed or something.

Back