wired network basic setup

Ckamc

Limp Gawd
Tax return money coming back and interested in getting hooking up my dvr units and streaming from my PC to my ps3 since my old ps3 will never be wireless n and have no reason to get a new one.

Just want to get some things straight before I go buying a bunch of cord.

1. I will need a switch since I will connecting 8 devices and obviously my four port router can't do that.

2. I will have to slice the cable to connect one wall connection to the other in another room

That's pretty much it right? Besides setting up the network with the router and the various PC's

Not interested in power line since its much more pricier. For some reason my house and wireless just doesn't seem to work with 5 different wireless n routers.

If I got this right or missing something let me know. Thanks

2. I will have to slice the cable to connect one wall connection to the other in another room

Not sure what you mean by that. On the ends at the devices you want to connect, you put on keystone or punchdown ends. On the other end that runs to the switch/router, use a patch panel. You terminate the cables to it, and then from the patch panel to the switch you run short little network cables in between.

Well you have the connection between the router and switch then from the switch you connect it to the wall. The wall plate will have several jacks to go out to various devices. On the back of the plate you would have to splice your cable to repin it so that the wall jack will feed between the switch and where ever that cable will travel to.

Then in the other room you will have your wire feed that you will have to repin to the wall plate then have a cord from the jack to the device (ie ps3)

Or do they offer a special adapter now that makes no need to splice cable to repin to a wall jack. Like a double female end adapter so all you end up doing is throwing wiring around the house and just snapping cable together with a simple adapter?

Back