Wired Home Network Setup....

Alright, so far I've got that I need (not purchased yet):

1) Patch Panel (Monoprice)
2) Router - Asus N66U
3) Wireless AP - Unifi AP-LR

I still need to pick out a switch (24 port) that is capable of POE and running video cameras, and a cable modem.

If you are going to invest in all this awesome gear. These are the switches you should be looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-ProC...269266109?pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item5d31e84cbd

and like was said above a small 8 port for the POE if you really need it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-3Com-V19...953420749?pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item3f161517cd

Motorola SB6120 or 21 for the modem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are going to invest in all this awesome gear. These are the switches you should be looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-ProC...269266109?pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item5d31e84cbd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-3Com-V19...953420749?pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item3f161517cd

Good parts :) great post :) if he gets that rack bracket he can put all these into it and make it all nice and clean :)

Cool deal. Yeah I figure if the switch is gonna be $250 or so that's fine.

Stupid question time. If I got that switch, would the 8 port POE be necessary? I couldn't do POE on that switch? Explain to me why the 8 port POE is needed. Pretend I know nothing.

Good to know on the cable modem.

Empty - what type of cameras and how many ports do you need?

I would suggest getting a unmanged 24 port gigabit switch for the network, and then a smaller 10/100 poe switch for the camera's.

I also in a home system wouldn't have this in the closet. I would have all the main equipment in teh utility room/basement. Then depending on where you are putting audio/video equipment for TV put the Access Point or Router turned into access point.

For example if you have a tv mounted to the wall chances are you either have the reciever and equipment below or in a closet. Most of those devices will need network wires. Put the router turned into AP in that area and you got your gigabit swtich and can save on network drops.

I haven't used that Asus but the Buffalo gear has been great and has DD-WRT on it.

You may want to pick out your cameras first since they might come with injectors included, saving you money on the switch or do as marley said and get a smaller poe switch in addition to the core one but then you also have to be sure of the total power requirement needed leading back to having the cameras picked out first anyways.

For the cable modem the Motorola SB6120 is the de facto standard

I actually like the Unifi cameras. They're like $100 or so. 30fps. Think of anything better?

Cool deal. Yeah I figure if the switch is gonna be $250 or so that's fine.

Stupid question time. If I got that switch, would the 8 port POE be necessary? I couldn't do POE on that switch? Explain to me why the 8 port POE is needed. Pretend I know nothing.

Good to know on the cable modem.

I have that 24 port switch and it is nice to have one that can handle anything you can throw at it while being very stable. It is designed for small business use after all.

Like another said you may want to see what products you are going to buy first as some IP cameras do have the POE adapter included, so you don't need to buy a POE switch. The 8 port switch is there so that you can keep the POE switch affordable and not use much extra power. The 24 port doesn't support POE and is fanless.

There's a few threads in here about cameras, one specifically on the Unifi ones also, search around and check them out.

On getting a second switch for poe. Usually adding poe to a larger 24+port switch adds to the price significantly and is usually only able to be had on something a bit "higher end" like the HP 1810 line.

Ahhhhhhhhh, makes sense. That's a very good point. That make a lot of sense to have a seperate 8 port for POE.

So...cameras that already have the POE adapter included....they don't need POE on the swith. They'd work with a regular switch like the HP mentioned above.

Anyone know if the Unifi cameras come with the POE adapter? I'll search around for the Unifi/Camera thread.

Unifi cameras
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1674198&highlight=aircam

Yea, they are called poe injectors. They add the power to the cat cable after the switch. It gets kinda messy with all the cables and power bricks if you have more than a few but it can save money and allow you to use non poe switches.

Also I forgot to mention that for some reason all Ubiquiti products(minus the new Pro WAP) do not use 802.3af spec for their poe anyways, so you would still need adapters.

Last edited:
I think you are wasting money on it but it's your wallet. For home use d-link green or the zyxel. Dlink has lifetime warranty and newegg it is like $150. Both I have used at homes and some businesses. Dell switches other times

Haven't used it. You mentioned not needing managed get what I recommended and with te saved money buy a Cyberpower UPS to protect the network area

So we all agree this is the best bang for the buck/take anything I throw at it/future proof switch for my application?

How's power consumption/noise/heat compared to other units?

I strongly suggest going with it. The warranty as also unbeatable, if I remember right all Pro curve switches have a lifetime next business day replacement. Yes, its overkill but it is nice to have peace of mind that it will handle anything you need and it just works.

I think you are wasting money on it but it's your wallet. For home use d-link green or the zyxel. Dlink has lifetime warranty and newegg it is like $150. Both I have used at homes and some businesses. Dell switches other times

This isn't much more than most other brand 24 port switches on newegg and as far as I have read, it is in another league compared most switches you will find in that price range. I am sure some others would agree that Dell Powerconnect 2824 or the procurve is the way to go for a hassle free switch that will last many years in a home environment.

Go with cat6, it's nearly the same price as cat5e anyway.

Also, run double what you actually need. so if you need 2 jacks somewhere, run 4. Label as you go. It may seem silly to label for a home environment, but trust me, it helps! Figure out a system that will work for you and stick with it.

And yes definitely go with a patch panel. it just makes things cleaner and easier to change things around if you want to. Personally I like keystone patch panels. They are the same as the jack plates. You can mix and match any type of connector you want, so you can put your phone stuff, coax etc on the same panel if you want.

For the switch/router, you can go cheap for now if you want to, at least the distribution will be there and it's not a huge deal to swap out a switch/router in the future. If you have a limited budget, put it towards the physical infrastructure now while it's easy, worry about the end stuff later.

I actually have a bunch of dlink switches daisy chained, it's kinda ugly but it works, if ever I buy a 24 port switch I can easily install and just reconnect the patch cables.

Back