Wired and Wireless home network. Need HELP! D-Link.

Augster

Weaksauce
Hey,

I have been working for 2 days on this and a little help is really needed.

I have my Actiontech DSL modem connected to my D-Link wireless di-624 router. I have my desktop computer wired via cat-5 to the router and have put a D-Link DWL-G650 pcmcia card in my laptop to connect to the router wirelessly. Both computers access the internet just swimmingly.

I don't need to, but I WANT to be able to share files between the 2 computers. I am running XP Pro on both machines. I have tried the network setup wizard with no luck. Both machines can ping the router, but they can't ping each other.

Am I missing something? What should I try next? Like I said, I access the internet just fine with both. I would just like to make my "network" a network. :D

Thanks for any help!

I have the exact same issue but with cable modem and Road Runner. I've tried 2 different XP network configurations with no luck. I have XP Pro on my desktop and CP home on my laptop. They can both access the web flawlessly, but I can't seem to have to have the laptop recognize my desktop. May desktop can see the laptop but cannot access it. I'm ready to give up! HELP!!!

Wow, I am glad that I not the only one that had this problem. The solution I found was to let the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration utility manage my wireless connection settings and override the DLink utility, and whamo, it worked for whatever reason.

I hope this is the only extent of your problems with this hardware, I am experienceing a whole range of other unrelated issues. Another great source of info is www.dslreports.com in the Dlink forum.

Hope this helps. It drove me nuts for awhile.

Two nodes that cannot ping each other on the same subnet, and internet connectivity is up usually means there is a firewall rule in play. Specifically blocked ICMP packets. Running the wizard was probably the worst thing you could have done. No telling what kind of problems that may have introduced. I'd check your XP firewall, and any other software firewalls you may use. Same with the router admin console. Also, if you have ever run Zone Alarm, even if you have uninstalled it, may facilitate a reload of the OS. Lastly, just because you cannot ping doesn't necessarily mean you can't share files. ICMP may be blocked, but that wouldn't have anything to do with file sharing.

Try sharing a folder on one comp, then mapping it as a network drive on the other. In my experience, the Windows Network thing is horseshit, and things work out easier if you just map the appropriate drives. When you are mapping, try both the computer's network name, as well as its IP (so, for example: \\tpad\tunes, or \\192.168.2.101\tunes).

Thanks for the replies!

Noob Q. How do you "map a network drive"? First network I have ever set up, so I am quite glad I can access the net, but the rest is greek to me. :D

Thanks for the help. I plan on getting back to it later today, so I'll post my results.

Augster

To map a network drive, open an explorer window (Windows explorer, not Internet) and click Tools > Map Network Drive. In the 'Folder' field, type \\(other computer's network name)\(shared folder name), without the (). So, for example, say your other computer's name was tpad, and on it you were sharing a dir called tunes. You'd type: \\tpad\tunes. If that doesn't work, try typing the IP of tpad instead of the network name, i.e. \\192.168.2.100\tunes. Also, for this to work, obviously you have to share something first on the other comp. Good luck.

You can also right click on My Computer or Network Places/Neighborhood and map a drive from that menu. That still may not work. If not, search for the computer using the Search/Find option from your start menu. You can search by computer name or IP if that doesn't work. Not being able to ping is troublesome though. ICMP packets (ping) may be the only thing blocked but I doubt it. You might want to check your XP firewall to make sure it's not on and if you have ever had ZA or other software firewall on that machine you may be looking at a reg hack fiesta at best and reload at worst to clean it up.

Thanks for the continued help guys!

I am using Norton Personal Firewall if that helps. On both machines. I've never (knowingly) installed ZA on either machine.

Boy I feel dumb. How do I access "windows explorer"? Isn't that just IE? Also, I'm sure I'll find in a search, but how do you find out if the XP firewall is turned off?

Thanks!

let only one controler run the network weather it be windows or the controler for the card coose windows unless windows is not working.

I GOT IT GOING! Thanks for all your help! I think it was a combination of that stupid network bridge and my personal firewall.

First I deleted the "network bridge" that the Wizard installs. Next, I went into the advanced options in Norton and made a range of allowable network addresses. 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.103. After that, everything is sharing just swimmingly. SWEET! Time to test out printer sharing, but I imagine it will fall in place now.

THANKS AGAIN!!!:D

It was your firewall, which was the first thing I mentioned several days ago. Would have saved some time had you volunteered that info a bit earlier. (that you were running a software firewall) Glad you got in running but try to acknowledge questions or suggestions.

Back