Wired 7870 HD Problems :confused:

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I have been getting weird crashes with the computer with these Visiontek cards (7870 HD 2x GHz Edition 2GB mem) the PC would get black or Grey crash screens some times with stripes when I would reset the PC I get no error report or min dump so I suspect the cards one witch I have already RMAed anyhow that't not why I'm here.

I have had this happen every time I move these cards to a different PC, first I uninstall catalyst then use driver fusion to clean up before I remove the existing cards from my main rig or even when I put them back in there rig.. ok boot the PC with the 2x 7870's install drivers like normal. Now normally I would be ask for a reset but no request is given so I reset my self get back in to the OS but everything is wrong I have only one monitor out of 3 working like I have not drivers and I can't launch catalyst because "there is no AMD hard ware for Catalyst to make changes" now this is the messed up part if i shut down and pull off the Cross fire cable and put it back on restart the system it works no problem now I have done this 3 times and every time I have to do the same thing with the crossfire cable I have even replace the cable twice thinking that it was because of a bad cable but no this is directly something with the GPU.

now has any one seen or heard of this and is it a tell tail sing of a bad GPU I need to figure this out soon my warranty runs out at the end for November and I know how difficult it is to get visiontek to do anything regarding a RMA or is this just a quark with the 7XXX series that I never have heard about.

also any tips about the Grey/Black/Blue crash screen with don't seem to crash the whole computer (Grey screen once with youtube still playing audio and yester day a blue screen and I had my mouse cursor but not task manager)will be very help full

Before any one gets on me for asking I have googled the crap out of this problem for days to no avail I don't know if im asking the wrong questions or no one has ever had this issue but I'm hoping some one will have a little info about my problem till then I;m going to use these card in my main rig and see if I get crashes and if I do I will try to narrow witch card it is.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I disabled ULPS to see if it solved my problem but I seem to still get the crashes no the problem rig just not as frequently

Thanks for any help.

Main Rig:
MOBD: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz stable
Mem: 8GB corsair vengeance
PSU: Antec Gamer Power 1200Watt
GFX: 3x 6950's (currently 2x 7870)
HDD: Intel 120GB SSD + Storage

Problem Rig:
MOBD: Asus P8Z77-V LX
CPU: i7 3770K @ 3.5GHz stable
Mem: 8GB corsair vengeance @100MHz 1:1 Ratio (the MOBD had a problem with the Ram at default speed 1:1 ratio seemed to work good with no more BSOD 8 months+)
PSU: Antec Gamer Power 900Watt
GFX: 2x 7870's (Currently 2x 6950's)
HDD: Intel 120GB SSD + Storage

Last edited:
Well I have a update to this madness the problems I was having on my other rig before I swapped the card is happening on my main rig now, the problems seem to fix them self after i disable crossfire and the whole care craps out soon as i re-enable it I'm not sure what that means at this point is the problem with the secondary card, I think so I'm not sure how I go about narrowing this down I'm going to try and swap the card latter on today.

I'm posting the Video of what happened here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koe5wGyuHPE&feature=youtu.be (sry for the low quality it's my first upload.)

if any one has any idea on what is happening with my 7870's pls help me I have less that a month of warranty on these awful Visontek card and I need to finger this out fast I have try every benchmark I know of I have no way of determining the problem as it pops up randomly any help will be welcomed and any diagnostic tools that can help me finger out the problem card so I can start the RMA process with Uhgg VisonTek (I'm sry if I seem begrudging to deal with these guys but the first time I had to RMA one of these cards but crashing my PC every time it was painful Visontek was adamant that they were not going to honer the warranty I had to fight tooth and nail to get it sent in and that was 3 months after purchase) anyway I'm really desperate to get this solved pls any one any tools with be helpful thanks.

That is a strange issue. Usually if you are getting Grey/Black/Blue crash screens, it's either a bad card, or could be a driver issue. I had an AMD 6950 that would randomly freeze to random solid color screens. After a couple years of dealing with it, I sent it in for an RMA. The machine that card came out of, hasn't had one issue since running a different gpu. So that makes me think you do have at least one bad card. Switch the cards around and see if it still happens.

On a side note, clean up your desktop man! You have a shit load of icons :D (I also have way more then I should, but I use Fences by Stardock to keep them in order and hide them when I'm not needing them. You should look into something like that)

lol I have Fences just to lazy to deal with it :p

ya I'm going to try and swap the card I have a feeling it is the bottom card being the screen tearing and glitches and not a sold blue/black/green screen crash (It did go solid blue for a second before i recorded) and the problem seemed to go away as soon as a disable crossfire so we will see I'm swapping that cards after this post will keep you guy updated and once more any tool's that can help me identify the problem (i already have GPU-z, Fur mark, and Heaven Benchmark but the card passed every test I have thrown at them thus far) would be much appreciated

thank you all once again.

The 6950 I had to RMA would run any benchmark/game/program with no issues (until it wanted to quit). It never showed any artifacts or anything, would just crash to a solid screen color. The solid color screen issue with it was very random, and I was never able to find a way to reproduce the problem on demand. It didn't even happen every day, sometimes it would work fine for weeks, and then it would have the issue 10 times in a day. I sent it in to XFX and they tested it for a few days and couldn't reproduce the error, but they sent me a new card anyways, so props to them for that.

Hopefully you get it all figured out soon, before your warranty is up. Good luck man.

I will never go with VisonTek again, once again they refuse to warranty my hardware because:

"After reviewing your proof of purchase, we regret to inform you that we are unable to process a warranty replacement for a unit purchased from BitcoinStore.com. Please see an excerpt from our Warranty Information webpage: https://www.visiontek.com/warranty-information.html

“Your sales receipt or invoice from an authorized VisionTek retailer, reseller, and distributor is your proof of purchase and is required to establish purchase date and original purchaser.”

Unfortunately BitcoinStore.com is not an authorized VisionTek vendor. For a list of all authorized VisionTek vendors, please see: https://www.visiontek.com/our-partners.html#all-partners-system-builders

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns."

so i emailed back:

"that is some crap especially since your company has already provided warranty for one of the cards 3 months after i purchased them, maybe look in to that and see why you could help me then and not now. I will remember this never purchase or recommend any one purchase your products again if this is how you honer your customers.

Just want to add this unauthorized vendor crap is just that since the customer has no idea ahead of time that you have this policy it seems like a trap to get out of your end of the warranty and on top of that how the hell do I buy one of your cards when a supposed "unauthorized vendor" has them in stock are the cards stolen? or do you simply sell cards to anyone but only approve the ones that pay in to you authorized vendor program.

I will be contacting Bitcoin store about this I will have this resolved I payed real money for these cards and I have no doubt your company was payed for them to. One of my cards is defective out of the box and I have discovered this with in a year my one year manufactures warranty should be horned like it was previously."

then I tried to contact bitcoin store but there page is different don't look like there up anymore and they were the ones who got my warranty approved the first time VisonTek refused for the same reason so I warn anyone who are thinking of buying that visontek card check there list of approved vendors or you will get hosed like me with 600$ paper weight

List of approved vendors :) https://www.visiontek.com/our-partners.html#all-partners-system-builders

EDIT:

Called visionTek and there going to look in to why I was approved before hand Bitcoin store might have a payment trail and if they can find it and find the original recite then maybe I can get these cards sent out. Crossing fingers.

Last edited:
Back