wire speed SOHO router?

Zylo

Weaksauce
Does anyone make a wire speed SOHO router for broadband use? I upgraded to RR premium today, and there is zero difference. I unhooked the router and ran my PC off the cable modem directly and WOAH that is what i'm talking about!

So, I need to upgrade my 3 year old Linksys BEFSR41. (and yes, I have the lastest firmware)

I have two ideas:

1) Cisco 26xx w/ dual EIC's, configuring IP NAT inside IOS

2) Linksys or Netgear SOHO

The 26xx isn't exactly cheap, but worth it to me if it gets me my 8.0 Mbps throughput.

Here is the SOHO router i've been eyeing.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124127

Anyone on here have success stories running Cisco routers? Thoughts and recommendations?

Look for a newer model SOHO router with 10/100Mb WAN interface. Another option would be a software router such as something running Linux, or *BSD.

Personally I use FreeBSD + PF, and that combo is doing fine. Handling upwards of 40Mbps when routing between LANs. At work we use FreeBSD + ipfw, and it's done 90Mbps without breaking a sweat.

If you want a true performance SOHO router/security appliance, consider a SonicWall. I've installed lots of these, and run them in my 2 offices as well. Powerful, fast, and the ultimate in configurability. True SPI firewall, with infinite configuration of both inbound and outbound traffic. VPNs are easy and fast. Cisco is great gear, but do you really want to mess with the cryptic IOS? If you know it, then you're all set. But the SW's GUI is easy to understand, and very versatile. Look at the specs of these things- here's some specs from their lowest end TZ-170:

- RAM: 64 MB
- Flash Memory: 8 MB
- Concurrent connections: 6,000
- Firewall performance: 90 Mbps (bi-directional)
- 3DES and AES Performance: 30+ Mbps

30 Mbps through a 3DES VPN tunnel! Most soho routers can't manage that in NAT mode only!

$ 369.00 buys you one here TZ170-10 . I'd sure wonder about spending $ 275.00 on anything from Linksys, especially considering their track record.

I'll second the Sonicwall. There a good compromise of quality vs cost that puts them between consumer grade equipment and Cisco. Easy to setup for the most part and reliable though our TZ 170 at work im not very impressed with, the POS wireless is a total joke and the thing craps out when a virus or spyware blasts I/O ports like crazy.

IceWind said:
though our TZ 170 at work im not very impressed with, the POS wireless is a total joke and the thing craps out when a virus or spyware blasts I/O ports like crazy.

I have about 5 TZ-170 W's, and at least a dozen TZW's out there, with no wireless issues at all. Gotta be something in setup, or possible corrupted/outdated firmware? That's not normal.

My Linksys WRT54G can push my 6mbit Comcast just fine. It has a 10/100 port on the WAN side so it should be able to do 8 as well.

I was running a Cisco 2514 on Comcast 3 mbit, but since both AUI ports are 10mbit, i dont know if I'd use it for an 8mbit internet connection. So that leaves the 2600 you mentioned, or you might also be able to use a 1700. Or there's the Linux or FreeBSD router, though that's a bit much for my taste unless u decide to run other services on it as well.

twwabw said:
I have about 5 TZ-170 W's, and at least a dozen TZW's out there, with no wireless issues at all. Gotta be something in setup, or possible corrupted/outdated firmware? That's not normal.

Well we theorize that its because SonicWall has their special little "VPN" wireless groups you need to use and seeings how were not due to our needs, that is what may be pissing it off.

I'd be happy to help you with if you want- I'm not sure what you mean by "special little "VPN" wireless groups you need to use". Are you referring to WiFiSec? You do not need to enforce WiFiSec if you don't want to, and can use conventional WEP or WPA for encryption. Yes- the wireless runs on a separate address space, but that's a good thing. Their wireless is actually one of the most sophisticated and versatile units out there. And side by side to a Linky, Belkin, and possibly other home soho WAPs, their range is far superior. This I have literally proven.

i like my m0n0wall-- it's an old pentium 2 350MHz + 192MB of RAM.. i'm utilizing captive portal on the wireless connections, with an html login page.. umm.. my throughput has been around 60-80 mbps through an avaya cajun p116t switch. i'm impressed, though.

Back