wire sleeving

Jay Style

Weaksauce
i'm new to the whole wire sleeving thing, i wanted to know how difficult it really is...my friend (if you can call him that) told me it's a long process and a pain. i bought the tools and a sleeving kit, i really want to do it i'm just looking fo any soft of tips and tricks you all may have, it's great to be a part of this community...thanks for looking out.

Its pretty easy to do, but do yourself a favor and get the male/female molex connector and the ATX pin removal tool(if you're doing either the main power cable or the 4pin P4 connector). That will save you hours of grief and sore fingers, trust me on that. The sleeving itself is no that hard to work with, just be careful about fraying.

BatteryAcid said:
Its pretty easy to do, but do yourself a favor and get the male/female molex connector and the ATX pin removal tool(if you're doing either the main power cable or the 4pin P4 connector). That will save you hours of grief and sore fingers, trust me on that. The sleeving itself is no that hard to work with, just be careful about fraying.

thanks alot i apreciate the quick responce...fraying meaning the ends of the sleeving? maybe some electrical tape is in line then?

i ordered this kit from xoxide http://www.xoxide.com/casearts-psu-modding.html

i think that includes everything i need.

anything else?

wow, thats a nice tool kit. Should make your life a lot easier.Heatshrink will work better than electrical tape. If you want you can ziptie the ends and then heatshrink or tape over them.

BatteryAcid said:
wow, thats a nice tool kit. Should make your life a lot easier.Heatshrink will work better than electrical tape. If you want you can ziptie the ends and then heatshrink or tape over them.

thanks for the comments, heh...and thanks for the great tips and ideas!!

I just finished sleeving my PSU yesterday, also replaced all the connectors with black ones. I'll snap a few quick pics.

BatteryAcid said:
I just finished sleeving my PSU yesterday, also replaced all the connectors with black ones. I'll snap a few quick pics.

hahaha quit funny i'm going for black connectors too, nice taste ya got there :cool:

I thought the PCP&C 510 Deluxe can already sleeved for the most part.
Or are you sleeving a different PSU :confused:

EnderW said:
I thought the PCP&C 510 Deluxe can already sleeved for the most part.
Or are you sleeving a different PSU :confused:

heh good lookout, yeah i'm sleeving my little brothers computer...i'm trying to get him into modding, which he is for the most part but i picked a project we could both learn from.

DSCN0859.JPG

DSCN0862.JPG

DSCN0863.JPG

DSCN0868.JPG

And these are the tools i used, little cheapo ones but they did OK.
DSCN0869.JPG

Now all that's left is to take the sucker apart and paint it black.

awesome job!! thanks for the pics, lots of help...deffinatly gonna go with the shrinkwrap.

Just make sure to have a really powerful hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun. A heat gun will shrink the wrap a lot faster than a hair dryer.

BatteryAcid said:
Just make sure to have a really powerful hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun. A heat gun will shrink the wrap a lot faster than a hair dryer.

yeah i thought about that but i'm borrowing a friends heatgun, just got conformation from him that he even had it.

Cool beans. This is an old Enermax 350 power supply, from before the days of dual LED fans and triple digit price tags. I bought it for my first custom PC like... 4 years ago? Still works like a charm and delivers more than enough juice.

Back