wire oxidation questions

I found this giant spool of 14 awg single twisted pair (2 conductor), double shielded, insulated cable, but it seems that both of the conductors have a moderate amount of oxidation. I keep cutting off lengths and stripping the fresh ends, but even like 20 feet into the spool, its still oxidized.

so, is there a significant problem associated with using oxidized wire? I know there is going to be current loss, but what sort of levels are we talking? for example, if I'm running 10 feet of this, with 12v dc, about 5 amps, what sorts of loss might there be?

also, does anyone know if I'm likely to find that the entire length of wire has oxidized, or will it taper off towards the middle?

Sorry I cant be more helpful but 20' in and its still oxidized?!

Im glad I didnt keep cutting the phone lines... I had went outside to clean the contacts to find severely oxidized wires in the phone box leading to the inside of the house so I cut it off and found more green wire... I just sanded it down and screwed it back on :p
DSL has never been better haha

update -

found a large (6 inch) slit/break in the insulation about 30-40 feet into th spool, so I cut all that off, plus about 10 more feet, and now the wires seem completely fine, no (visible) oxidation.

now I hope there aren't any more breaks that I miss...

if it is copper i would just sell it to the local scrapyard for recycling(you may get more then you think)

and then u can buy the actual bit of wire you need :)

yea.. wire that long and at the current i would say.. oxidation would be bad.. not super bad.. but.. i would work with nice fresh wire..

I second (third?) the suggestion of selling it off and buying new wire.

Though, you do know that you can clean it with some sandpaper, right?

Back