Wire mangement help. What should I Do?

Marc113-

Weaksauce
Do you guys have any suggestions? I have alot of fans, alot of wires, and alot of mobo components that use wiring.
inside3.jpg

For one, and no offense, but dump one of the optical drives. All you really needs is a CDRW and/or DVD/DVDRW. I would have two Optical drives at max. Second, I would start pulling wires together and clumping them, then try to hide them behind the hard drive bay cages, behind the mobo, behind the mobo tray. But I agree, you have a crapload of wires.

damn dude...that's a LOT OF FRIGGIN' WIRES!!! Nice color too.

anyway, you may want to try to route as many as you can BEHIND the motherboard and drive cages. Use cable clips or small diameter conduit and put wires in that.

velcro cable ties or zip ties will help too. I use velcro ones b/c I get them for free (come with the cisco equipment and apc UPS we get at work)...but either work well, just one can be re-used.

hard to picture what I'm trying to explain, but hope I gave some suggestions.

Originally posted by Tanis143
For one, and no offense, but dump one of the optical drives. All you really needs is a CDRW and/or DVD/DVDRW. I would have two Optical drives at max. Second, I would start pulling wires together and clumping them, then try to hide them behind the hard drive bay cages, behind the mobo, behind the mobo tray. But I agree, you have a crapload of wires.

we apparently posted at the same time:D

but yeah, what are thre three optical drives about??

if you want 3 optical drives, hey, more power to ya, but a few suggestions, turn your harddrives around and thread the wires through the back, thatll get rid of alittle clutter, also, try and shove unused wires into an unused 5.25 bay, or excessively long ones, and if you have enough room, tuck them behind your powersupply or motherboard tray

The reason i use 3 optical drives is because one is a super fast dvd-rom, i have a dvd/cdrw drive, and i have a dvd-ram drive with a ram disk in it most of the time to double as a hard drive.

Is it common to see hard drives turned around? I have a fan there, so i dont want the cables to get caught up in that. I i think i have a grill though.

Originally posted by Marc113-
Is it common to see hard drives turned around? I have a fan there, so i dont want the cables to get caught up in that. I i think i have a grill though.
i have my hard drives turned around, i'll get a picture tomorrow, the inside of my case is MUCH cleaner :) but i don't have a front intake so i don't know what to do about that

plenty of people do it, i don't because im lazy and i screw around with stuff often. a grill would be a good idea

My case is pretty messy also...I just tuck some of the wires between my optical drives and also in the HDD cage...

I just bought a new case. Today I moved everything to the new one. In my old case, I had all the PSU wires covered, and rounded IDE cables for the HDD's and optical drives. It was messy.

What I did was take the coverings off my PSU wires and routed all the wires behind the motherboard tray first. Then just ran them wherever I needed them. MUCH cleaner. Then I got rid of the rounded IDE cables for some regular ribbon cables. They're much easier to fold out of place, and they look way better when it's done. IMO

Originally posted by 2_hotty
I just bought a new case. Today I moved everything to the new one. In my old case, I had all the PSU wires covered, and rounded IDE cables for the HDD's and optical drives. It was messy.

What I did was take the coverings off my PSU wires and routed all the wires behind the motherboard tray first. Then just ran them wherever I needed them. MUCH cleaner. Then I got rid of the rounded IDE cables for some regular ribbon cables. They're much easier to fold out of place, and they look way better when it's done. IMO

so i should spend a 1/2 hr cutting the psu sleeving off that took me 5 hours to do?

It's all good.. i let all my wires hang baby... well not really.. but it's no pretty site.. i have space between the top of my case and PSU.. if you got space tuck some wires there as well

Step 1: Grab scissors and begin cutting everything you see

Step 2:

Step 3: Profit!

Damn, I was gonna say that! Sorta. Take the mac approach to wire management, don't use any. Might not actually work anymore, but it'd be pretty. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Marc113-

P3190028.JPG

P3200063.JPG

no problems with clearence with the cables

Damn, never would have thought of turning the HDD around. I'm going to do that when I get home :-D.

newcomp04.JPG

Yes, it's a wiring NIGHTMARE. It's a Thermaltake Damier V5000A Case.

I have an SP94 coming in the mail so I'm going to redo everything.

I'm also looking for a Hardcano 12 to replace this hunk of junk Hardcano 9 that came with the case (it's responsible for everything in there).

I tidy'd up the wires a little bit:

Zeitgeist01.JPG

HOLY SHIT! What in gods name is all that wire for???

Sorry, that pic just made me cringe really bad lol

Originally posted by daba
http://www.fungifuel.com/daba/computers/Zeitgeist_2004/newcomp04.JPG[IMG]

Yes, it's a wiring NIGHTMARE. It's a Thermaltake Damier V5000A Case.

I have an SP94 coming in the mail so I'm going to redo everything.

I'm also looking for a Hardcano 12 to replace this hunk of junk Hardcano 9 that came with the case (it's responsible for everything in there).

I tidy'd up the wires a little bit:

[IMG]http://www.fungifuel.com/daba/computers/Zeitgeist_2004/Zeitgeist01.JPG[IMG] [/B][/QUOTE]

HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK MY EYES

IT BURNS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sorry.

But it really is that bad.

Haha, I knew I should've attached warning signals to those pictures!

Anyways, the Hardcano 9 that comes with the Damier is the cause for all those wires. It has so many wires it's a true catastrophe. I really don't know where to put all of them.

I'm going to try to find solutions when I remove my motherboard and install the Thermalright SP-94. I'm not sure I want to sleeve all of that.

there's only one way to fix that mess, and itll require a really big set of hedge clippers

Originally posted by carlson
there's only one way to fix that mess, and itll require a really big set of hedge clippers

Originally posted by waddles
Step 1: Grab scissors and begin cutting everything you see

Step 2:

Step 3: Profit!

just a quick question, some of you mentioned tuckin wires by the PSU, i just got a new antec 480 and have tons of extra wires hangin, tucking them between the psu and case walls will be ok, i tried it and it worked fine, but then removed them, i was just not sure about heat issues of the PSU and possibly damagin those tuckd wires....

thanks,
P

The heat of the PSU case isn't going to be enough to hurt those wires. If you can touch the casing of your PSU withought getting a pretty good burn...then so can your wires. Anything that is hot enough to melt the plastic sleeving on the wires will be enough to burn your skin.

Ninety-degree molex connectors are a Good Thing. PS-RagE built a server with a ton of hard drives, and using 90* connectors really helped it stay clean. Take a look at this page of the thread , about a third of the way down the page for pics.

Also, as cool as round cables look, the good 'ol flat ribbon cables are easier to fold out of sight.

Yes, your PSU sleeving may have to go. Personally, if I had the time, I'd take off all the sleeving, cut all the power cables to the perfect length, and then put the sleeving back on. I'll echo the earlier suggestion to route cables behind he MB tray and the drive cages.

One question: it looks like you have green cables going from your fan controller. Where'd you get them?

I just did my wires yesterday with the help of my gf. Basically I pulled all my wires to the side of my optical drive area (side without the window) and used wire ties. I only fed the wires forward when they were needed.

I wish I thought about putting my hard disk in backwards though, I may look at it tonight and see how well I can do it without having to cut all my ties.

It looks so much better now, the only wires I couldn't hide were the motherboard power, but they are wrapped into a good place.

I'll post a pic of my rig when I get around to it but what I recommend you do is get a dvd/cdrw/cdrom/burner/etc., drive to replace those three you have and get some brackets to mount your harddrives in your cd/dvd - rom bays either alone or with a harddrive cooling kit if heat is an issue for you.

It will clean up the bottom part and increase air flow from front bottom to back top.

One optical drive will decrease the amount of wires in your rig and the load on your power supply.

Taping all the wires behind the mobo can be a good idea, but if you have a removeable mobo tray and use it at all, then that won't work so well. I am in that situation that is why I hid everything on the cd-rom cages.

I need to clean up my editing machine. It is a horrible mess of wires in there

matrox.jpg

My internet machine isn't too bad but it needs work as well.
internet_machine.jpg

I'd like to get 3 of those Cube style cases for my machines, that way the drives are on one side and the mb and cards are on the other.

A bit messy, I have no idea how to clean it up tho....
above the CD RW is a DVD and another HDD in 5 1/4" frame, got cut off on the photo.
I may be replacing the 2 120 mm fans with the alumium ones if they are quiet enough.

pic20.jpg

Originally posted by Suicidal Insanity
A bit messy, I have no idea how to clean it up tho....
above the CD RW is a DVD and another HDD in 5 1/4" frame, got cut off on the photo.
I may be replacing the 2 120 mm fans with the alumium ones if they are quiet enough.

First thing you should do is lose the round cables. Flat ones are easier to fold out of place and behind/underneath the drive cage or motherboard.

Take those power cables in front of the drive cage there and re-route them behind the drive cage or between the drives.

I can't see exactly where those SATA cables are going to, but it looks like they go above the motherboard. you could run those behind the motherboard if they'll reach (which they should actually, only difference would be they'd be behind the board instead of in front).

I'm sure other's will have similar or better suggestions.

I already cut the end Y spreaders from the round cables in order to be able to place them better. I'll try using flat cables.

One of the SATA cables is going to the HDD under the visible CD rom, the other is going 2 slots further up. How far can the sata cables be bent, I don't want any cable damage. Could i bend them as far as the IDE cables without damage?

Originally posted by User Name
http://m6.hwgn.net/P3190028.JPG[IMG]
[IMG]http://m6.hwgn.net/P3200063.JPG[IMG]

no problems with clearence with the cables [/B][/QUOTE] User Name is the man with wire managment.

to really clean up and organize your wires you have to get creative. think outside the box, err well more inside this time...
[url]http://www.moddershq.net/guides.asp?guideid=12[/url]

Originally posted by Suicidal Insanity
How far can the sata cables be bent, I don't want any cable damage. Could i bend them as far as the IDE cables without damage?
bump for the noob sata cable question

Back