Wire gage for fan question

Jarod888

2[H]4U
I am putting together a new system and some of my fans' tails don't have enough length to be able to route them through my case the way I want. So I am forced to make my own custom length tails, double female, so I can use a multi fan plug in port at the bottom of the case. I have already purchase the 3 pin connectors and the pins and wire. I bought some 24 gauge wire because when I looked at the 120 and 92 mm fans that I had their wires were 24 gauge, 300 v stranded wire. I have to make some tails for some 40 mm fans and I noticed that they use 26 gauge 300 v stranded wire instead of 24 gage. My question is that is it OK to make the tails out of the 24 gauge wire, and will it have any adverse consequences?

Thanks!

The lower the gauge the better actually. So, 24 has less resistance than 26, making it better than the 26. Higher guages are generally cheaper, that's why they're used in low-power electronics, such as fans ;)

Thanks for the quick reply, I will be wiring up some connectors as soon as I get home in the morning.

Back