• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Wiping question

Kalnos

n00b
Joined
Aug 3, 2010
Messages
13
I just got a new Intel 120gb SSD to be used a primary boot/application drive while my old drive will be storage; and I was thinking that I would just start fresh over since I need to reinstall Windows anyway. My question is: Should I use DBAN on my old 1TB HDD or is there a more preferred method of wiping?

If not, I'll just ready for the DBAN since it will probably take 10 hours +/-.
 
Just reformat the drive if you do not care about its contents. Wiping is more of protecting you from someone recovering your files if you sell the drive.
 
I just got a new Intel 120gb SSD to be used a primary boot/application drive while my old drive will be storage; and I was thinking that I would just start fresh over since I need to reinstall Windows anyway. My question is: Should I use DBAN on my old 1TB HDD or is there a more preferred method of wiping?

If not, I'll just ready for the DBAN since it will probably take 10 hours +/-.

If you want to erase the platter drive, then a simple format will be fine if you are going to use the drive. If you are thinking of parting ways with the platter drive then DBAN wont hurt nothing. You dont need to do anything special, a simple one pass fill with zero's is more then anyone will be able to crack.

With the Intel, if you ever want to clean that one up, you can use the Intel Toolbox to erase it and TRIM it.
 
Back
Top