wipe partition on software raid?

vFX

n00b
Joined
Sep 28, 2013
Messages
55
I have a software raid 1

Code:
root@storage:~# mdadm --detail /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
        Version : 1.2
  Creation Time : Sun May  3 11:51:50 2015
     Raid Level : raid1
     Array Size : 468718592 (447.00 GiB 479.97 GB)
  Used Dev Size : 468718592 (447.00 GiB 479.97 GB)
   Raid Devices : 2
  Total Devices : 2
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

  Intent Bitmap : Internal

    Update Time : Wed May  6 19:47:42 2015
          State : clean
Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 2
Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

           Name : storage:0  (local to host storage)
           UUID : a585311b:b4238657:8f7f3e85:aef94019
         Events : 399

    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8        1        0      active sync   /dev/sda1
       1       8       17        1      active sync   /dev/sdb1

where I have created a ext4 partition during the install process.
now I need to wipe this partition and use the "device" md0 as block device backstore on LIO.

question: how can I wipe out the ext4 partition on md0?
 
I do not understand your question.

Is it that some software (not sure what LIO is) does not let you use /dev/md0 because there was an ext4 partition on it?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIO_(SCSI_target)

I suspect you can
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md0 bs=8M
to wipe the whole array. That way nothing could detect the unwanted ext4 filesystem.
 
Last edited:
I just want to do this in the "clean" way.

I'll try to explain better: if I run 'umount /my/raid/mountpoint' and then I use md0 as iSCSI backstore (which should work, I have not tried yet) what happen if I run 'mount /dev/md0 /my/raid/mountpoint' after some time?

So my question is: how can I remove the ext4 filesystem from my raid1 before using it otherwise?

Thanks
 
Writing over the entire array with zeros like I showed above would definitely wipe the filesystem however there may be a quicker way (which I do not know).
 
Back
Top