Wipe and reinstall fresh with Raid 0

bobbagels

Weaksauce
Hello Hello,
I have a machine (AMD) that is a duel boot configuration XP (was on first) and 7.
This machine has 2 HD's where both OS reside on. They are a Raid0 config.
It also has another HD for backup purposes (which I have done)

I think I would now like to wipe both OS clean and just install Windows 7 fresh. (i dont think I need to partition any more as this machine will be strictly for invoices and estimates, and I still have other HD's to back up to)

I DO have BOTH OS Disc's from the original installs (XP & 7 discs)

I am worried about the raid set up. Will I have to do anything with that? I have no experience there at all.

And (in theory) I should be able to just install my buisness software and restore from backup as it has "backup & restore" features (which I have done to 2 seperate HD's as this is important stuff) (20 yrs buisness records)

I'm not exactly sure how to wipe it all clean and reinstall the OS's.

Also, I know Raid1 would be better for security? But leaving it the way it is , is ok with me. I backup the important stuff to other HD's all the time. (this machine was originally built for gaming and thats why Raid0 was used for the speed. back in the day this machine was top notch, hell, its still fast)

Any recommendations, suggestions and instructions welcome.

If you are just using the motherboard's RAID features, you probably won't even notice when installing Windows 7. Windows XP might not have the needed drivers. Either way, you can download them from the motherboard manufacturer's website and put them on a floppy, if need be.

Usually with motherboard RAID, you just use the controls built into the BIOS to wipe the RAID and start over, which will in turn destroy all data on the drives and get it ready for a new Windows installation.

RAID-1 (Mirroring) will do nothing for security. Please remember that RAID is NEVER a backup.

OK, thank you for that info.

However,
I am unsure of how to do this.
Is there anywhere I can go to read up on it or something?\
I'v been in the Bios many times but never messed with any Raid settings or anything.

maybe you can backup all your important data then wipe the hard drive with 3rd party partition wizard. :)

Will I have to do anything to the raid settings after I wipe both partitions?
thats what I am unsure of.

No, the raid should remain intact when you reinstall windows. In some rare cases, windows will need a F6 driver to install itself on the raid, make sure you have latest version hando on an extra usb drive.

Back