WINXP - Windows Installer and Add/Remove Programs issue

Hey, good people. I am having a pretty serious issue with WINXP right now and need some help. Here's the history:

--Computer started acting up one day, locked up and after rebooting would continue to automatically reboot just before loading Windows.

--Made the horrendous mistake of taking my computer to the Geek Squad at Best Buy. They told me that the hard drive was corrupt and that a stick of RAM was corrupted. They removed the bad 512K of RAM and told me I would need a new hard drive.

--I took my computer back and ran a repair install of WINXP (which is what I should have done in the first place). The computer finally started booting normally.

--Later I learned that any new software would not install because Windows Installer seemed to be missing files, even though I had ran a repair install.

--Even later I also learned that Add/Remove Programs no longer exists in my Control Panel, and not only that, appwiz.cpl is also missing from WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

So at this point I'm at a loss as to how to repair Windows Installer and Add/Remove Programs (I'm sure they're related on some level?). I don't know why my repair installation did not take care of those, either. It's either reformat the entire drive (or replace it), which I could do eventually, but I need to back up some things first, or find a way to get Windows Installer and Add/Remove Programs back. Are these modules that can be re-installed from the web possibly?

I'm just curious about my options, but I will eventually reformat and/or get a new hard drive if that's my only option. Thanks for any help.

In the time it would take you to research a possible solution and try it, you could easily back up your data and reformat.

I would back up your data right away, and then run some diag tests on your HDD. No need to replace it if it's working fine.

I don't have any media to back up to at the moment, working on that, but I'd figure I'd ask the question anyway.

You should always have some method of backing up data. The prices on external USB drives are really low now, so look into something like that.

Back