WinXP & Win2K peer-to-peer network problems

kcjeeper

n00b
I have a small office with 7 pc's running through 2 hubs and a Linksys router/gateway to a broadband connection. I am not running a server. Until recently they were all Win2K Pro and 1 Win98SE and everything was fine. Because of the need to run some vendor software I was told I needed to upgrade to WinXP

Upgraded a couple of the PC's from Win2K to XP Pro SP2 and am now having sharing problems between the 2K and XP computers. The XP units can see the lone Win98SE computer but not the Win2K's and of course the 2K cannot see the XP. All the computers are able to access the broadband connection and the network printer/fax which has a fixed IP.

I have run through the XP Networking Wizard countless times and have had no luck. From the XP computers I can't even see the other XP computers or any of the local printers. I have tried countless combinations of turning the XP firewall on and off on different computers and that isn't working.

I'm about ready to ditch the XP and go back to Win2K and tell the vendor where he can stick his software that requires XP. Anyone have any clues as to why I can't share files, printer or even see the other computers?

<edit>I am able to ping back and forth.

What restrictions have you got on the XP firewalls? - i.e. are they open to the local network? (they should be if you can ping them) are they all the members of the same workgroup? How long are you giving it to connect (remember XP will search for extra shared information like scheduled tasks which can slow down the network viewing by 30 seconds) can you access the default admin shares via IP - i.e \\machine_name\c$ etc?

Back