WinXP Unable to UNC to Itself

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an XP Pro box sitting next to me that is not on the domain, and not on the network. I'm trying to setup some UNC paths that redirect back to itself (re: This machine will eventually be an isolated test environment for a company app.).

What currently works:
- I can do a Start-->Run, type the UNC path (\\MachineName), and it resolves
- I can see the two shared paths that I defined
- When double-clicking into the shared folders, I get an "Access denied" error.

What I've done to get this far:
- Logged in as administrator (machine is not on a domain, nor attached to network)
- Turned off "Simple File Sharing"
- Edited each folder's properties, telling it to be shared and give "Administrators" group full control
- Went to Local Security Policy snapin --> Local Policies --> Security Options --> Set the "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only" to be "Disabled"

Any suggestions? I'm really left wondering why this isolated XP box cannot browse an UNC path of itself.

how about share permissions?

By default, share permissions allow the "Everyone" group to read-only. So you should still be able to view, but may want to check.

Not just NTFS perms.

how about share permissions?

By default, share permissions allow the "Everyone" group to read-only. So you should still be able to view, but may want to check.

Not just NTFS perms.
Thanks, I should've detailed that part....

Share permissions had "Adminsitrators", "Users", and "Everyone" set with Full Control (all three checkboxes checked). I can see that the shares exist when going to the UNC path, but trying to go into the share gives the "Access denied..." error.

how 'bout the NTFS perms?
assuming it's an NTFS partition

Yep, NTFS... Security tab has all three groups listed above with full control. Going to "Advanced" button, I can see it listed with Full Control for the "E:\" drive (the local hard drive with the UNC shared folders).

Further testing has revealed that going to the OS hard drive's UNC path (ex: \\MachineName\C$) also fails with the "Not accessible" error message. Seems like there is something bigger going on.

Some additional details to share:
- Machine is running McAfee AV... Not the internet security package, but just their corporate AV product.
- Machine is running Service Pack 3 with all subsequent MS patches.

Last edited:
Got it resolved... I needed to setup a Virtual Network Adapter to handle a loopback call when the machine is not connected to a network.

This link solved it:
http://www.keyongtech.com/3879417-unable-to-access-local-share

interesting. You know, I was wondering if that was an issue.
So I loaded up a Win2k Server VM I have, disabled the network so it had no network connectivity, but was still able to access it's default shares via \\servername
was also able to open and browse the 2 default folder shares without issue.

interesting. You know, I was wondering if that was an issue.
So I loaded up a Win2k Server VM I have, disabled the network so it had no network connectivity, but was still able to access it's default shares via \\servername
was also able to open and browse the 2 default folder shares without issue.
Yeah, this *discovery* really took me by surprise as well.

On a related note, was your VM tied to a domain?

I'll hafta try this out on the XP install on my laptop, or even my old XP desktop that still has a few shares.
See if I can duplicate the issue.

Back