WinXP: Stand by (is it ok?)

s10010001

Supreme [H]ardness
When I put my desktop to standby all the fans go off. Is this ok? The CPU is really off is it not? Can leaveing it in sleep mode damage overclocked hardware?

are there any disadvantages to it? I have been doing alot of work on it latly (like real work, ready to buy into dual core work), and and getting tired of rebooting if i step out for an hour, but dont want to leave the PC on...

It sounds like your system performs a Suspend to RAM, where all active and open applications are put into main memory, while everything else is basically turned off. The system uses a very minimal amount of electricity in this mode, just enough to keep the memory from losing its contents and to catch interrupts from devices that are allowed to wake the system up (mouse, keyboard, perhaps NIC, etc.).

Anyway, it's normal for the fans to go off, since everything else is pretty much off. It's the same thing my systems do and I've been fine for years. Also helps save power and reduce noise when you're not using the comp for a while.

Back