Winxp service pack 2 beta

I just installed service pack 2 beta on my machine today, and I really like it. My hope with the thread is that people could share their thoughts on it and/or ask questions about it if they don't have it.

My favorite new feature is the wireless networking stuff. Wireless connections now look different from wired ones and all the diagnostic and setup stufff is streamlined nicely.

Hopefully, there will be enough interest in this so that I don't get flamed. :D

An MS beta? You sir are braver than I.

Any change of note other than wireless stuff?

Windows update also has some interesting changes. When you search for updates it gives you two options. You can search only for criticals, or you can search for all updates.

The only annoying things I've found so far are some of the default options. It firewalls all your network connections and tries to make you enable automatic updates. To disable the firewall, it now takes a little more work than it used to. I think about 2 extra windows to go through, and some bitching.

a little extra inconvenience on our part
is well worth the added security to the general public
which as always are clueless pawns
and are the primary vector for attacks these days

Originally posted by Ice Czar
a little extra inconvenience on our part
is well worth the added security to the general public
which as always are clueless pawns
and are the primary vector for attacks these days

Is that a poem? It's very pretty :) Can we have it in haiku form too?

'XP's new service
pack firewalls the innocent
vector pawns en masse'

On a more serious note... when it kicks into effect and all my connections suddenly drop out.. now I know why :) Cheerio.

I think when the Beta finally goes gold that it will have much the same effect W98SE had and will keep XP a viable OS until the release of Whatever they end up calling it in 2005-06 :D

hmm, nope, anit' goin' to download unless it will work perfect on my 500mhz machine

Now that I've been running the beta for a couple of days, I'm surprised at how stable it is. I had a four hour Unreal Tournament 2k4 session without any hitches. I hope they don't alter this pack too much before it goes gold, because it's rather nice the way it is.

Originally posted by vinnie
haiku

'XP's new service
pack firewalls the innocent
vector pawns en masse'

inconvenient yes
but for their own good its best
lest infected get

Back