WinXP Safe mode hangs

dbaldus

Gawd
My parent's computer has been running kind of crappily with spyware, etc. that I cannot seem to get rid of, so I decided to boot into safe mode and try to get rid of the things that way instead. However, upon booting into safe mode, I get the user login screen, choose me, and then a dialog box comes up for a second (not long enough to read everything that it says, but I think it is the standard "You are currently in safe mode, would you like to proceed?" type of thing) before the computer hangs with "Safe mode" in all four corners but the screen completely black other than that. I've left it sit for about 20 minutes before to see if it will respond, but it still just sits there with a completely black screen and "Safe mode" in the corners, as if its waiting to load or something.

Anybody have any idea what is causing this or how I could get around it? I can boot into Windows normally just fine, but theres a lot of pop-ups and stuff that keep coming up. My parents do NOT want a reformat at this time (they're going to wait until my younger brother gets his own computer to litter with crap and then we'll reformat), so I don't want to consider "just reformat" as a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Back