WinXP Recovery Console Help SOS

MrXerxes

Weaksauce
I need to get into the Windows XP Recovery Console, so I repair the Master boot record on my primary hard drive. Basically here is what happened:

Install of WinXP on Hard Drive A
Install of Suse Linux on Hard Drive B

Install of GRUB boot loader onto master boot record of Hard Drive A, so I could choose which OS to load into.

Reformated Hard Drive B.

Now my computer tries to load GRUB, but of course it no longer sees linux on drive B, so it just says Unable to load Operating System.

As I understand it, you need to boot to the WinXP Repair console, via the XP install CD, which I have done. Now there is only one user account on my XP system, and it is an administrator account. However, when I try to enter the Repair console it asks for the Administrator password. Well I enter it, the same one I log into Windows with, and it keeps saying invalid password.

Plllllllllease somebody help me :confused:

The Administrator account is separate from the one you created for yourself. If you created an Administrator password (not the one for your account) enter that one. Otherwise just press enter and it should let you in (it does on my MCE2005 maching anyway).

beanman101283 said:
The Administrator account is separate from the one you created for yourself. If you created an Administrator password (not the one for your account) enter that one. Otherwise just press enter and it should let you in (it does on my MCE2005 maching anyway).

Bean,

Is there anyway to access this Administrator account in windows? For example when I go to Users I see my account, Xerxes, and underneath it is says Administrator. You are saying there is another Administrator account, like a general one? Is there anyway to access it from Windows?

Solved my problem with a little more searching of Microsoft's site.

For all that are interested go to this page

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;312149

Basically, if you are Admin in WinXP, you can use built-in security tools to edit a registry value, that will set the Recovery Console to auto-login as ADMIN.

Pretty slick :p

Thanks to all that read & contributed

Back