WinXP Pro vs Win64 vs Vista

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a ThinkPad 23 to use with Linux, uBuntu in particular, but I am not a computer savvy enough. I tried a bit, but I have other things that I want to do with my limited time.

So I have the ThinkPad and an Opteron rig running Windows XP pro. I need another copy of Windows. My choices now are another XP, the 64 bit version (install that on the Opteron and take the XP and put it on the ThinkPad), or wait for an eventual release of Vista (and do the same switcharoo).

What do you think? I guess I could muddle around more with uBuntu, but the ThinkPad is not seeing any use these days. I invested alot into it, and it runs great. Just sad to see it sitting there all the time.

I mean once I figured out how to connect to my WPA network at home, I could not figure out how to connect to my parents' WPA network, or any other network for that matter.

thanks

Vista is scheduled to be available for general public release next January, so you have quite a wait. XP64 is still a little shy on the driver front, but getting better every week. Ubuntu can be fun if you have a resource to check for details. Try Beginning Ubuntu Linux by Keir Thomas, ISBN 1590596277....pretty good book on Ubuntu.

MajorDomo said:
Vista is scheduled to be available for general public release next January, so you have quite a wait. XP64 is still a little shy on the driver front, but getting better every week. Ubuntu can be fun if you have a resource to check for details. Try Beginning Ubuntu Linux by Keir Thomas, ISBN 1590596277....pretty good book on Ubuntu.
Excellent advice. I'll add one thing to it, in the end its all fun and games. So, if you aren't having fun then switching to Xp pro will be your easiest way out. You could still dual boot to Ubuntu for what you had time to play around.

I think I'l get the book. I have 4 computers right now.

1. Gaming with all the goodies and Windows XP Pro
2. Media PC with Windows MCE2005, works great for what I do with it
3. Laptop for travel and 'round the house surfing with Windows XP Pro
4. The ThinkPad. Was going to get XP Pro and turn it into a BitTorret machine. Tired of having my gaming rig on all the time.

I'll put the book on my amazon wanted list!

I hooked up with a Beta2 copy of Vista this afternoon from Microsoft at a TS2 seminar. The demonstration was about an hour long and looks very promising.....although we were exposed to the top of the line version. Also had about an hour with 2007 Office....nothing majorly new, just much easier to use with streamlined performance. Getting ready to build a new box anyway and this will be a good time to try a fresh everything to light the fires and kick the tires.

MajorDomo said:
I hooked up with a Beta2 copy of Vista this afternoon from Microsoft at a TS2 seminar. The demonstration was about an hour long and looks very promising.....although we were exposed to the top of the line version. Also had about an hour with 2007 Office....nothing majorly new, just much easier to use with streamlined performance. Getting ready to build a new box anyway and this will be a good time to try a fresh everything to light the fires and kick the tires.

Very cool. I think I will wait for people who know to kick the tires and take the test drive. Making sure it is safe for me!

Back