inyourface1650
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Apr 8, 2005
- Messages
- 129
Hello guys,
I've got a fun one for you.
System is homebuilt -
Antec 300
ASUS P5e SE (p55)
Core 2 duo E8500
2GB Kingston 1066 (2x1gb)
500GB WD HDD.
PNY 9400GT PCIE
Antec Basiq 500
I'm getting random system hangs. NO BSOD's, just a freeze on whatever your doing. Sometimes the machine doesn't wake up from idle (monitor off at 20 minutes in power settings).
Users will be just browsing the web, or using quickbooks etc and it will hang.
I have not seen WINXP hang in many years, it usually blue screens with hardware errors. I'm thinking its not hardware.
After the initial complaints i did the following:
I ran Hijackthis! system was clean - AVG was happy as well
CC cleaner got rid of usual crap including registry errors.
Nothing out of the ordinary was starting up, but I disabled most startup stuff via MSCONFIG anyway.
Defragged HDD.
Updated Nvidia drivers
Checked available HDD space (using about 12GB on a 500GB drive hahaha)
All fans are operating normally (and its bloody cold out so I dont think its heat)
Event Viewer shows NO ERRORS in system at all, application does show some, but just junk that is related to the POS UPS software (the post company),
System ran SP2004 (basically Prime95) which involved full CPU and memory usage for an hour - no problem at all.
The machine is over an hour away from me, and I have very limited face time with it. Ran just fine when I last saw it, could not replicate any errors. User is complaining about crashes - up to 4 a day. Basically unusable. Crashed today while I was Webexed in looking at Event Viewer.
Power up there is really bad, but the machine is behind a 1500VA UPS so I dont think thats causing the issue - I might swap out the Power supply on the principle of it because I've been through a couple of em up there (did I mention the power up there was really really bad?).
I'm stumped. this rarely happens - but this time Its got me.
Any ideas?
I've got a fun one for you.
System is homebuilt -
Antec 300
ASUS P5e SE (p55)
Core 2 duo E8500
2GB Kingston 1066 (2x1gb)
500GB WD HDD.
PNY 9400GT PCIE
Antec Basiq 500
I'm getting random system hangs. NO BSOD's, just a freeze on whatever your doing. Sometimes the machine doesn't wake up from idle (monitor off at 20 minutes in power settings).
Users will be just browsing the web, or using quickbooks etc and it will hang.
I have not seen WINXP hang in many years, it usually blue screens with hardware errors. I'm thinking its not hardware.
After the initial complaints i did the following:
I ran Hijackthis! system was clean - AVG was happy as well
CC cleaner got rid of usual crap including registry errors.
Nothing out of the ordinary was starting up, but I disabled most startup stuff via MSCONFIG anyway.
Defragged HDD.
Updated Nvidia drivers
Checked available HDD space (using about 12GB on a 500GB drive hahaha)
All fans are operating normally (and its bloody cold out so I dont think its heat)
Event Viewer shows NO ERRORS in system at all, application does show some, but just junk that is related to the POS UPS software (the post company),
System ran SP2004 (basically Prime95) which involved full CPU and memory usage for an hour - no problem at all.
The machine is over an hour away from me, and I have very limited face time with it. Ran just fine when I last saw it, could not replicate any errors. User is complaining about crashes - up to 4 a day. Basically unusable. Crashed today while I was Webexed in looking at Event Viewer.
Power up there is really bad, but the machine is behind a 1500VA UPS so I dont think thats causing the issue - I might swap out the Power supply on the principle of it because I've been through a couple of em up there (did I mention the power up there was really really bad?).
I'm stumped. this rarely happens - but this time Its got me.
Any ideas?
Last edited: