winxp pro product key on winxp home?

Nitron

n00b
Will a windows xp professional product key work with windows xp home edition?

is there an easy way to upgrade from xp home to xp pro?

(w/o reformatting?)

Over the top install is an 'In place Upgrade', or in other words, a refresh install. Yes, it leaves programs and data intact.

You run the risk, of course, of rendering the system inoperable and not being able to access those programs and data because, basically, upgrade installs suck! It's always best to back up data and do a clean install :)

Okay, one last question.

Will the windows xp product key from the HP laptop work with a windows xp pro student edition cd?

Here's the problem: My roommate misplaced his original hp windows cd, but still has the product key on the back of the laptop. Unfortunately I didn't realize it was for xp pro until I had already installed xp home.

No. That will not work, and it's not legal either.

What you can do, though, is use the XP Pro student edition disk AND key to install. DO NOT activate by internet!

When you're sure that the install is working OK, run the activation and choose to activate by telephone. Explain to the call centre staff what has happened, and ask them to assist you with changing the product key to the legitimate (HP) one as part of the activation. The facility to do so is built in to activation, and the call centre staff will step you through the procedures.

Back