winxp pro activation with new hardware ?

bluedot

n00b
If I plan to sell mobo&cpu with used retail winxp pro. Will the buyer be able to activate the OS? or do I need to include the nic card used on previous os installed.

Everytime I have to call MS they've never asked my name. They just ask me if I did anything and I'll tell them what I had changed or whatever and then we go thru reading all those numbers to eachother. No biggie ... ;)

So I shouldn't think it would be any problem unless the new owner told them he just had bought it then they might say something. Not sure about selling someone a "used" operating system so really don't know if that might create a problem.

So as far as including that NIC card? He/She could just say that it is a new NIC, just something that needed changing or upgraded.

thanks for the answer..I guess the hard part now is to sell the mobo,cpu&winxp cd on the sale forum.

bluedot said:
If I plan to sell mobo&cpu with used retail winxp pro. Will the buyer be able to activate the OS? or do I need to include the nic card used on previous os installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx Item #13

There is no hardware limit for retail version of OSes. You could sell it without any hardware, or with the motherboard and CPU, and\or the network card. Doesn't matter. There is, of course, the limitation that you can't keep any copies or keep using it after you sell it.

When the new user installs, they will have to activate the install, but it's all legit. At worst it's 5 minutes on the phone.

Ya activating is not to bad, I just wish you could talk directly to a person instead of having to talk with a machine. I know sometimes when i reactivate I just mumble a little and the machine puts me through to a live person.

Back