WinXP only starting in safe more, otherwise continuous reboots

Davenow

Gawd
It was FINE until last night. The only thing that changed was I installed BF1942 and the usual mods (only DL'd from solid sources) HL2/Steam and DL'd a couple new torrents. I am 99.999% sure it isnt a virus from the torrents, but the scan is running at home while I am at work, as I worked on it for about an hour this morning

Here is what I have done so far,
msconfig>killed EVERYTHING from starting up, tried a few, tried all,>> Same problem
Killed a few services of non essential proggys> same problem
Ran adaware and spybot, >same problem, nothing found anyway.
uninstalled a few proggys that were starting up, these had been there for at least a week, no problems until this morning.
removed my scsi card, unplugged a couple fans, shut cold cathode off.>same problem

Now, here is where the weirdness starts

Norton antivirus liveupdate says virus def file version is 12/8/2004. I am running the SAME version as I am here at work, and this work machine is 12/9/2004, and I swear the home machine used to be 12/9/2004, if I hit liveupdate, is says no updates found. I just checked Synamtec's website and it looks like 12/8/04 version 18 is the latest, and thats what I have so maybe thats fine.

Not overclocked, 480w power supply, and like I said, it starts up FINE in safe mode.
Any ideas???

my computer > properties > startup & recovery > disable automatically reboot after system failure

Driver issue? BF1942 might have installed an older version of DirectX or video driver if you weren't paying attention.

I will look at both of those things when I go home in a hour or so to check the virus scan results (I love living less than a mile from my work)

Any more ideas to try out?

I just rememebered that I instaleld the new catalysts last night before I shut down.

DING DING DING. I think we have a winner. I will find out in a bit.

Back