WinXP License Issue (Dell Laptop)

SRT-4

Limp Gawd
Here's the situation, I got a new Dell Inspiron 6000 on Monday. Yesterday I decided to reload WinXP because the dell came with 60 running processes, a little to chunky for me :eek:

Anyways, the laptop didn't come with a XP cd, so I made a unattended install CD with nLite. When I made the cd, I put in the license key on the bottom of the laptop, all 25 characters. Well the install wasn't to unattended, it said the key was invalid. So I had to put in my other legit license key from my desktop to get the install to go.

Now I'm at 29 days left to activate, and I have to figure out a way to get my laptop key registered/activated. Will I end up having to call Microsoft? That's fine if I have to, but I'm curious as to what they will say when I tell them I used my desktop key on the laptop.

Thanks,

You are likely running into one of two scenarios (off the top of my head).

First, you are using a XP CD that isn't an OEM verison. Non-OEM CD will not work with OEM keys and vice-versa.

Second, Dell (and other major OEM's) BIOS lock their software to the hardware. Meaning you can't take a restore (or XP CD) from another brand, say Gateway, and use it on a Dell.

The first scenario is more likely.

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I loaded a generic OEM copy I got from Newegg on an IBM Intellistation last winter using the key from the sticker.
IMHO that no CD crap is ridiculous. Personally I think you should call Dell and bitch, though if you happen to know someone with a generic OEM install CD, just borrow it & use your key. You should be ok duping it too. Read over the license about backup copies first of course. You might need to destroy the Dell restore CD to remain compliant... which would be tempting anyway.

zandor said:
I'm not sure if this will help you, but I loaded a generic OEM copy I got from Newegg on an IBM Intellistation last winter using the key from the sticker..

PC Vendors include bios locked OEM OS that does not require activation.
Microsoft recently made changes that if you use the OEM key from any major PC vendors system and try to activate, it will prompt you to call in.

zandor said:
IMHO that no CD crap is ridiculous .

If people would take the time and look, most major PC vendors include utilities to burn your own backup discs of the software installed.

zandor said:
Personally I think you should call Dell and bitch, though if you happen to know someone with a generic OEM install CD, just borrow it & use your key. You should be ok duping it too. Read over the license about backup copies first of course. You might need to destroy the Dell restore CD to remain compliant... which would be tempting anyway.

The op would still be *required* to call Microsoft to activate, see my first comments.

To the OP - Call Dell and have them send out recovery discs to reload your laptop if your not willing to do that, then you'll need to install and use another legal copy of XP with its own keycode. Else you'll be forced to call Microsoft to activate and have to explain what you did in hopes they will give you an activation code.

Won't that just make a system restore disk with whatever extra garbage Dell is putting on this month included?

zandor said:
Won't that just make a system restore disk with whatever extra garbage Dell is putting on this month included?

Most of the time, the restore disk contains the OS and drivers needed for operation.

ok fine, just use that dell utility, and a 3rd party (Nlite) to make a custom cd? That way you can remove stuff before it gets installed. Opinions on whether that would work?

SRT-4 said:
Here's the situation, I got a new Dell Inspiron 6000 on Monday. Yesterday I decided to reload WinXP because the dell came with 60 running processes, a little to chunky for me :eek:

Anyways, the laptop didn't come with a XP cd, so I made a unattended install CD with nLite. When I made the cd, I put in the license key on the bottom of the laptop, all 25 characters. Well the install wasn't to unattended, it said the key was invalid. So I had to put in my other legit license key from my desktop to get the install to go.

Now I'm at 29 days left to activate, and I have to figure out a way to get my laptop key registered/activated. Will I end up having to call Microsoft? That's fine if I have to, but I'm curious as to what they will say when I tell them I used my desktop key on the laptop.

Thanks,

why wouln't you have just uninstalled any offending apps and cleaned up the system that way..

2) if the key didnt work then you used the wrong disk, oem vs retail etc etc

Dell computers no longer come with disks. They come with a recovery partition and the software to create the disks. which will set the system back to factory load, including all the apps

Back