WinXP+Dynamic discs+USB2.0=RAID?

Bigdady92

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok i found the hack to allow windows Xp pro to do raid 5 from toms hardware. I bought 4 IDE hard drives (size is irrelevant) and wanted to put them in an external 4 bay IDE enclosure and hook it upto via usb 2.0 (addonics STorage Tower).

Now I read that windows doesn't allow creation of dynamic discs on usb devices, BUT! I plan on converting these disks to dynamic before I put them in the usb storage device thereby setting them up before they go in.

Will this work? anyone know? Will windows xp see the dynamic disks in the usb array and allow me to raid them?

I really want to have this whole thing raid 5'd instead of 4 seperate drives.

Four drive in R5 in independent enclosures? Hope you don't give two shits about your data, cause you most likely WILL lose it, Besides, built-in WinXP R5 sucks donkeyballs for speed.

Dew said:
Four drive in R5 in independent enclosures? Hope you don't give two shits about your data, cause you most likely WILL lose it, Besides, built-in WinXP R5 sucks donkeyballs for speed.

No. 4 drives in 1 enclosure.

http://www.addonics.com/products/raid_system/ast4.asp

How will i lose it? what do you mean?

and I don't give a shit about speed. This is just for storage as a repository for all my data nothing more. I want games I'll play them on the main computer. Want to dump files to something and pull them off one day, then I can do that. Think of it as an attic of files not a garage that gets use all the time.

I have a laptop so I can't get an external raid card. No I won't do eSATA or any of that nonsense. No I won't swap out my hard drives. No I won't put windos 2003 server or install freenas on another box and hook it up. I'm fending off these questions as people are going to tell me to do X when I want Y. I know this place :D

I'm asking about viability here and IF it will work and solutions to make it work if it can. I can't switch it out for anything else , drives or otherwise.

For the record, you might as well close the thread as you will get zero help whatsoever with WinXP hacked R5, as it violates the EULA and is thus determined prohibited discussion for this board.

Dew said:
For the record, you might as well close the thread as you will get zero help whatsoever with WinXP hacked R5, as it violates the EULA and is thus determined prohibited discussion for this board.

better question then disregarding the raid issue which I'll work on:

does Windows XP allow for dynamic disk configuration on disks that were previously setup as dynamic and then inserted into USB external storage arrays?

Back