WinXP: Driver Load Order

Demon10000

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got a problem with a machine. It's a Dell Laptop -- D505. I've installed a sysprepped XP on it using SCCM OSD and when it reboots to run minisetup it hangs.

I fire up safemode and I see the last few drivers are:

SISAGP
VIAAGP
MUP
ALIM1541
AMDAGP
AGP440
AGPCPQ

I assume is AGPCQP causing problems. I fire up the recovery console and disable it. Reboot and it hangs. So I fire up safemode again, and now it's stopping at AGP440.

Long repetative story short, I disabled everything up to MUP with a reboot to test each change and it always hangs at the driver before the one I just removed. Kind of tells me it's the next driver that is causing the problem.

I fire Advanced Startup Options (F8) and enable boot logging. I let it try and start and after it crashes (I let the thing sit for like 5 minutes) I fire up a WinPE install and look for the log file. There is no NTBOOTLOG.TXT file to be found anywhere on the drive. Because it doesn't create this file, I can't see what it's doing...

Any ideas on what I can do to find the next driver that is loading on the system? I don't get a BSoD -- it just hangs.

what SP is the XP disc? and what processor's on the laptop?
may or may not be helpful...

This can be caused by a known problem in Service Pack 2 for WinXP and Intel Prescott processors

http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

couple quotes from previous link

Geek's summary: SP2 will hard lock on all XP bootups if BIOS does not push Revision 8 (sometimes 7) microcode to Prescott processors! Read on for fixes etc.
Normally, Windows XP will run whether the BIOS updates Prescott's microcode, or just leaves it at Revision 0. But the new Update.sys installed as part of XP Service Pack 2 will hard lockup the PC if Prescott's microcode is left below Revision 8 (or for some Prescott steppings, Revision 7).

I'm not sure what processor it's got in it, I'd have to check next week when I get back in the office. I did start down the update.sys road before I left, and I tried to replace it with one from SP3. The machine should have SP3 on it already, though.

I'm not certain this is the right path, though. I can pop in that SP3 CD and build it just fine. The problem only occurs when I put the WIM on it. The WIM has some updates applied since SP3, so I guess it's possible. I've got an SP1 CD that I'm going to grab Update.sys from and put it on the image next week and I'll see if that makes a different.

I've put together deployments for many different models and I've *NEVER* had problems like this!

Back