WinXP annoying wierdness - 2 items...

BB Gun

[H]ard|Gawd
WinXP Pro - SP2 not yet installed, all other patches installed.

1) every once in a while, left click on the mouse doesn't work. On login screen, moving cursor changes focus, but clicking does not activate login dialog. Have to use arrow keys. Once in windows, mouse seems to work fine... Mostly. Then every once in a while, left click no longer works again. Only way I have found to clear it is to start the task manager, left click on it, then close it. Not starting or killing any processes. Very wierd.

2) Tonight, all of a sudden, drag and drop no longer works. I can't drag things onto my toolbar. I cant drag files into my recycle bin. I can't relocate my recycle bin, or any icon on my desktop. I can right-click and delete them.

No, I do not have "lock items on desktop" enabled. I do not have any web content enabled on the desktop at all. A search in the MS knowledge base on "drag and drop" "locked icons" "frozen icons" turns up nothing useful.

Any hints? This is REALLY EFFING ANNOYING.

I just did a sweep of my system with adaware6SE, Spybot S&D, PC Cillin, and "The cleaner" and "Stinger" everything shows clean.

BB

Have you dropped your OC? Try bringing it down a notch and see. Can you run Prime95 without any errors for 24 Hours?

Have you recently updated your drivers? Like you VC card drivers? What programs have you installed recently? Any Crashes in the last 7 days (stop error, or full system hangs).

I am inclined to think that it may be a hardware related issue, it your software hasn't changed in the last little while.

Cheers,

Back