WinXP 64bit and how!

BallerX

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok gents. I currently use WinXP32. I plan to upgrade to a Q6600 and 4 gigs of ram. Will I have to purchase Vista 64bit or can I somehow get XP64 for nothing. I have been told that if I have a licensed copy of XP32 then I should be able to get a 64bit copy for free. Is this true? I really would love to be able to save myself $150 right now.

First of all I wouldn't recommend XP64 (I did use it for a long period of time but compared to 32bit it wasn't much of a difference). I think there was a trail period but I don't think you could get it for free.

But if your going to make the jump to vista you should defiantly go Vista 64bit

well guys with 4GB of ram I'm gonna need a 64bit OS. I'll probably just go with 2GB and save the money. Now who thinks I can change back to standard IDE controller and just pop in the new parts? Would the HAL be different going from an Opteron 165 to a Q6600? I could always use sysprep. But then I would have to reinstall a bunch of crap.

Well, you would gain RAM from getting 4GB, just not the full amount - about 3.2GB is common but depends on your setup (graphics card memory, most importantly).

This will be a new motherboard and CPU, and I wouldn't like to do that without reinstalling, even though I'm not one to reinstall unnecessarily. The HAL would still be ACPI Multiprocessor, but who knows what patches might have been applied for the wrong architecture, or other mysterious problems. It might work, but..

At this point in the respective products' lifecycles, I would strongly recommend Vista 64-bit over XP 64-bit unless you are planning to run apps that simply will not work in Vista. I ran XP 64-bit for about a year and a half as my primary, and while I have no complaints, XP on the whole is getting very long in the tooth and XP 64-bit is a bastard child of XP, so support (though it has actually become quite good, contrary to popular belief) is likely to start declining sharply. It may be a few years but I'm assuming this is a long-term investment for you, and your hardware can more than handle Vista. Any performance differences will be negligible with the hardware you're running.

Back