winsock xp fix

I want to know if anyone has a better than 50% fix ratio for the winsock.exe program. I also use the netsh command line fix, but only to a 50% success rate. What is the next step aside from formatting the whole pc.

I use it in conjunction with many other malware removal tools...on heavily infected machines. Often the TCP stack/winsock has been infected with something from bad malware, and the overall cleaning of the machine is more complete by using the winsock repair utility.

When it's not a malware problem, I have nearly 100% success with it. The netsh winsock reset command it redundant if you run the fix, btw.

If it's a serious malware problem, I also use lspfix http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm and hijackthis. Of course, I use specific malware removers as well, but the lspfix and hijackthis are awfully nice for things that don't happen to have a definition file for them.

i will try the lsp winsock2 fix. i never knew about that. thanks alot for the help. What has been your success at fixing a 169. with the winsock 2 fix?

I have had really great success using the winsock2 fix with automatic private IP problems.

If you want to pinpoint which action it's performing that actually works, I believe that it has a help button or something like that which lists exactly the actions it takes.

Back