WinRAR to be free this Sunday, July 30

I guess one could say that 7zip is free'er and is built on sexier tech.

According to a comment at neowin one have to register for the newsletter to get the key, or something. Actually it's quite confusing, because the snippet refers to a "link that will get activated", but it doesn't make any sense for that link to be to the newsletter signup form, why would that have been "inactive"?

Don't understand why one would post a news-snippet and not include the one important piece of information that's really needed for said snippet to make any sense.

^^^ exactly, they were good in that the profram pretty much fully worked, but the free version does not let you do recovery records and such ro repaid a file if it got corrupted.

I always use the right click extract to menu anyhow, but it will be nice to have a key. ;o)
My only question is where do I sign up come sunday? The newsletter refers to a link that is not there.

Yeah, I've been trying for a while now. The furthest I've gotten was to fill out the form, then the next page times out.

So what's the deal on this? After numerous attempts I finally got a key. So what do I do now with the key? It's not actually a registry key even though it has a .reg extension. Clicking on it gives a message saying it's not a registry script.

What is this "only works on WinRar 3.51 non-upgradeable version"? That's what the email said after I filled out the form. Then the link takes me to a download (which I got) that I now don't know what to do with.

Edit: Ok, I got it. You have to have 3.51 installed before clicking on the .rar file. Before I didn't and tried to open the .rar file which doesn't install the key. Cool, good to go, registered now.

I bought a license to winrar several months ago, & I don't regret it. Just getting rid of the nag message was worth the money!!

I got in on it. :) I just kept trying. After filling the form, it kept timing out, and I had to hit refresh about 10 times, then it finished, checked my email, downloaded my key and I'm legit ! No more nag screen!

Mike89 said:
So what's the deal on this? After numerous attempts I finally got a key. So what do I do now with the key? It's not actually a registry key even though it has a .reg extension. Clicking on it gives a message saying it's not a registry script.

What is this "only works on WinRar 3.51 non-upgradeable version"? That's what the email said after I filled out the form. Then the link takes me to a download (which I got) that I now don't know what to do with.

if its like the normal winrar key, you first install winrar, then just copy the key file to the dir that you installed winrar too, normall c:windows/programfiles/winrar and just paste the key in there and start up winrar and you will be registered.

Got my copy too, a couple of retries helped with the slow site :D

oldmx

Back