Winphlash and Epox 8RDA+ ?

00 scrub

n00b
I'm trying to fix my brother's computer that I built for him. He has an Epox 8RDA+ Mobo and I believe an Athalon XP 2800+ (It has been a long time since I built it). I want to reflash the BIOS and can I use Winphlash for the BIOS re flash? The BIOS on the motherboard is a Award/Pheonix v6.0. The error's he is getting in Windows XP are:

In the device manager he has a exclamation point talking about driver difficulties with the Nforce2 Memory Controller

He also gets a pop-up when Windows starts saying USDM: Incorrect BIOS ID

He also gets occasional BSOD: Fatal Error. I'm wondering if this is a Windows problem that just requires a re-install. He also gets DCed from his internet (DSL through a router) after 5 minutes after boot.

Is this a Windows Problem, a BIOS problem ( I don't know how this could get corrupted though), a Motherboard on its way out?

Thanks

00 scrub said:
I'm trying to fix my brother's computer that I built for him. He has an Epox 8RDA+ Mobo and I believe an Athalon XP 2800+ (It has been a long time since I built it). I want to reflash the BIOS and can I use Winphlash for the BIOS re flash? The BIOS on the motherboard is a Award/Pheonix v6.0. The error's he is getting in Windows XP are:

In the device manager he has a exclamation point talking about driver difficulties with the Nforce2 Memory Controller

He also gets a pop-up when Windows starts saying USDM: Incorrect BIOS ID

He also gets occasional BSOD: Fatal Error. I'm wondering if this is a Windows problem that just requires a re-install. He also gets DCed from his internet (DSL through a router) after 5 minutes after boot.

Is this a Windows Problem, a BIOS problem ( I don't know how this could get corrupted though), a Motherboard on its way out?

Thanks

I doubt it's the mobo, the 8RDA is one solid board... I JUST killed mine with grade-a american static shock, so it's gone now, but it wouldn't have died any other way.

So now the computer boots to the windows loading screen and promptly resests itself.

First thing I would try is taking everything apart and make sure all cards, cables and cords are seated correctly this includes RAM and CPU then after its all together I would CLEAR the CMOS and start it up and see if there is a prob. If that doesn't work I would reinstall the nForce drivers with the newest version. Then reinstall windows if that doesn't work finally i would flash the BIOS. I kind of find it unlikely that the BIOS would "go bad" or something all of a sudden start not working wiht the BIOS unless there is something that your brother did that he is not telling you.

Well we tried the new Nforce drivers and that didn't do anything. So we tried to install Windows again and during the inital load screen/setting up windows it gave soem strange missing DLL error. I forgot which DLL, but I'll see if it happens again.
When you say clear CMOS do you mean change all settings to default? I'll check the hardware, especailly the RAM.

I haven’t worked on many systems with Epox boards in them but the ones that come to me with problems have all come down to swollen capacitors causing low memory voltages. Turning the voltage up will usually fix the stability issues. However this is a very temporary fix. Once the caps start to go bad it is all down hill until you replace them or the board.

So yea check the board over really well to see if the tops of any of the caps are bulging and run memtest.

Good luck

TGA said:
I haven’t worked on many systems with Epox boards in them but the ones that come to me with problems have all come down to swollen capacitors causing low memory voltages. Turning the voltage up will usually fix the stability issues. However this is a very temporary fix. Once the caps start to go bad it is all down hill until you replace them or the board.

So yea check the board over really well to see if the tops of any of the caps are bulging and run memtest.

Good luck

If there is broken caps, RMA them, Epox has been applying high-quality caps lately and would understand if you sent it in for repair.

Back