winnt\system32\config\system - missing or corrupt

Addictus

n00b
"Starting Windows...
Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

"You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows 2000 Setup using the original Setup floppy disk or CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I've reformatted and installed W2k 3 times now on a new system and I've had this error three times now. The error hapens on a restart shortly after Windows loads its HAL etc. (I put a /SOS into the boot.ini to see) Windows repair doesn't work, it just BSOD's, no I don't have the BSOD errors right now.

I've installed w2003 Standard Server on the same exact hardware configuration and there was no issue except that there are no w2003 drivers for my vid card. I've since reformatted and reinstalled w2k on ntfs.

I've read that removing all connections and telling the BIOS not to boot from USB does the trick but I haven't tried that yet.
Microsoft tells me to edit my registry, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269075&Product=win2000 .
Funny though that the exact message I get is the one listed here and this machine does NOT have XP on it. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283433&Product=win2000 .

Why on earth would this message simply fail after installing a new OS of w2k?!?!
What am I missing?
I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has had such wacky issues on a fresh install.
I'm thinking my next step is to remove the soundcard and reformatting/installing again to see if it still occurs after updating the OS.
I've tried installing all the latest drivers from ASUS including the newest 4in1's for this board and I've tried an installation without them and I still get the same results.

Here's my hardware:
AthlonXP 2700
2 x Crucial 512 DDR 64x64 PC-2700's
ASUS A7V600 (BIOS 1005, I think)
2 x WD 36GB 10,000rpm SATA HD's in RAID 0
Powercolor RADEON 9600 Pro 128
MSI DVD+/-RW 4x MS-8404A
SBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

when ever i get a BSOD on a fresh install i always reset the BIOS for good measure.

Registry corruption is usually due to hardware failure or hardware misconfiguration [user error].

If you're overclocked, obviously that's a big factor. If you are, you really shouldn't be overclocking on that VIA POS anyway, the PCI and AGP aren't locked and are probably what ate the registry, and every other file on the computer.

If you're stock, your ram may be bad, or it may be a wide combination of things.

I discovered that one of the pins in one of my power plugs from the PSU was loose and giving only intermittant power to not only my front/bottom case fans, but also one of the HDD's in my RAID 0!!! I resolved that issue and reseated all hardware, reinstalled and so far things are good.

Back