WinFS not for Vista

Aratech said:
Why are you glad the DRM stuff made it in time?

Just curious. :)
I am glad that DRM made it into Vista, since I believe that it was the most important feature from a consumer perspective. Seriously, who needs a new filesystem?</sarcasm>

drizzt81 said:
I am glad that DRM made it into Vista, since I believe that it was the most important feature from a consumer perspective. Seriously, who needs a new filesystem?</sarcasm>
DRM does nothing for consumers. It pepetuates licensing so that large media outlets can pevent small startups from forming. It removes PC user's basic rights they have had for decades in order to give the antiquated sales methods of the past a just a little more room before stocks are as high as they are ever going to go before falling. It cripples the functionality of the system while bloating the processor overhead with unnecessary functions. Movie pirates will not even be slowed down by DRM; It's normal computer users who are having thier rights and hard earned dollars stolen.

drizzt81 said:

1) WinFS is NOT a new FileSystem, it was a plugin to NTFS.
There is an app in Linux called Beagle and IF you formatted yr Ext3 partition and you enabled user_xattr Beagle can do some fantastic indexing and searching of yr filesystem!
That is all WinFS was, a method of indexing above NTFS, but dependant on NTFS

2) DRM helps ONLY the studio's and hardware licenece holders
They say it is going to stop pirates? how? Sure it may delay a pure digital rip of a movie, but until then stick a video camera infront of the screen and your have the film, stick a mic near the speakers and you have DRM-music as well

The Analogue route has always existed it is just slower then a digital rip and lower-quality. But since ppl are happy to buy music from iTunes (that is at 128k/s) they won't know the difference.

WHAT DRM does do is ties the consumer into a certain brand
It also make manufactures slaves to the media industry, if they piss of the media industry (or dont agree to a hike in licencing) then they can de-activate all that manufacters players at the next Hight-def DVD manufacter

DRM is bad! it helps no-one except the rich get richer

Aratech said:
So can we just stick with xp or are there consequences for doing that too?

Billy boy not getting richer

in all honesty there really isn't any reason to upgrade with Vista
Until company's start release Vista-ONLY but that will kill their business

to go back to topic: I am quite displeased to see WinFS get axed for now. I really thought that once it's released it would convince me to go vista.

This Xp to Vista upgrade seems to get closer to the 98SE to Me "upgrade" every day.. The only compelling reason to switch seems to be DX10, and improved security.. But, the jury is still out on the improved security part of my last statement..
We will have to see...

GORANKAR said:
This Xp to Vista upgrade seems to get closer to the 98SE to Me "upgrade" every day.. The only compelling reason to switch seems to be DX10, and improved security.. But, the jury is still out on the improved security part of my last statement..
We will have to see...

Or the 2K Pro to XP Pro Upgrade! So far nothing has me upgrading 2K machines to XP except upon replacement of an old 2K box. No reason to do Vista Either. Sure I will have it on my machine if I have a new one at the time but no reason to jump out there and start upgrading every damn computer in the company, just because MS wants more money. Now if Vista did something special, and all the eye candy is not special, then maybe. The only reason I could ever see is the Locking it down and the Admin Protection stuff. But still Group Policy and a good AV/Spy Ware scanner stops most of that if not all at my company. Guess I just know what the hell I am doing and do not need MS to make an OS so damn annoying as is Vista. At least for me, not Joe User....

I can't believe people missed your sarcasm. I thought it was hilarious!

Back