WindowUpdate problem of WinXP

InT845

n00b
There was a power outage on Saturday morning due to a $#%@ storm. And well the computer was on and when the power came back on i guess it had deleted the explorer.exe file. I installed to recover deleted files and unfortunatly lost all work. And now i keep on getting these messenger service pop-ups as if i had just purchased the comp and my windows update wont work and my programs access folder doesnt even work either. can someone pls help.

Did you reinstall over the top of XP? If so you're screwed. Reformat.

yea i did. i did that because all i wanted to do is was install that file and any other ones that were deleted during the power outage.

S1nF1xx said:
Did you reinstall over the top of XP? If so you're screwed. Reformat.
It took me a bit to figure out WTF your saying, but I think I get it. :D

InT845, when you did the repair reinstall you installed the original versions of the files from the XP CD. These are unpatched files. When you connected this to a network (I'm assuming you don't have a firewall) you likely got infected with virii, or perhaps you are just getting messenger pop-ups.

I would disconnect the machine from the network, download SP2 + AV + virus defs on another machine and install them on the borked machine. Then scan the machine, if it's clean, connect it back to the network and finish patching from windowsupdate.

Also, I'd recommend a hardware router/firewall, a SOHO router like Linksys for around $40-50 will do.

Good luck.

InT845 said:
There was a power outage on Saturday morning due to a $#%@ storm. And well the computer was on and when the power came back on i guess it had deleted the explorer.exe file. I installed to recover deleted files and unfortunatly lost all work. And now i keep on getting these messenger service pop-ups as if i had just purchased the comp and my windows update wont work and my programs access folder doesnt even work either. can someone pls help.

English and grammar never hurt anyone! I'm not really sure what's going on, but I am sure your explorer.exe file wasn't deleted. As Phoenix86 mentioned, a repair install is great, except it leaves many of your system files unpatched. That's why, whenever you do a repair install, you use the same SP level disc as what's currently installed on the machine.

Phoenix86 said:
It took me a bit to figure out WTF your saying, but I think I get it. :D

InT845, when you did the repair reinstall you installed the original versions of the files from the XP CD. These are unpatched files. When you connected this to a network (I'm assuming you don't have a firewall) you likely got infected with virii, or perhaps you are just getting messenger pop-ups.

I would disconnect the machine from the network, download SP2 + AV + virus defs on another machine and install them on the borked machine. Then scan the machine, if it's clean, connect it back to the network and finish patching from windowsupdate.

Also, I'd recommend a hardware router/firewall, a SOHO router like Linksys for around $40-50 will do.

Good luck.

In Win XP, if you install over the top of it, (not a repair install) doesn't it blow away the registry and write a new one? That happened to me the first time I tried to 'fix' Windows 2K ('98 habbit :)) All my programs were there, and so was a brand new registry. :p

S1nF1xx said:
In Win XP, if you install over the top of it, (not a repair install) doesn't it blow away the registry and write a new one? That happened to me the first time I tried to 'fix' Windows 2K ('98 habbit :)) All my programs were there, and so was a brand new registry. :p
No, it preserves it... Well sorta. I think it does reload certain keys, but not the whole thing. This is the main advantage of a repair vs. re-format, you don't muck up the registry and have to reinstall the apps.

Back