WindowsXP Media Center vs Pro and Duel Processor Support

Number19

n00b
I'm purchasing a new computer and will be going with a Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core QX6700 overclocked to 3.20 GHz. I've chosen to stay with XP while also dual-booting to Linux.

My dilemma is that I'm waffling between XP Media Center Edition and XP Pro. The only reason I'm considering Pro is that it has "support for dual processors", but this could be a big deal. The reason I'm considering Media Center Edition is that, having read considerably on BeyondTV, SageTV and PowerCinema, XP Media Center seems to be superior.

But dual processor support will trump media capabilities. Can anyone offer a comparison, or provide a link, which will clarify how the two versions of XP perform and compare with the new quad core processors.

Some typical review statements that I've found : "...even Windows XP users may benefit some just from having the additional cores to run all those background tasks..." and "...the main benefit to an ordinary user from a multi-core CPU will be improved multitasking performance...ordinary users are already running many threads; operating systems utilize multiple threads as well as antivirus programs and other background processes including audio and video controls. the largest boost in performance will likely be noticed in improved response time while running CPU-intensive processes like antivirus scans, defragmenting, ripping/burning (requiring file conversion)...".

The above paragraph perfectly describes what I am aiming for in my new system - but this description does not indicate whether Pro has an edge over Home or Media Edition with the use of multi-core processors. I also work extensively with image and video files, which also shows improved performance with the new quad-cores.

I just need to decide which of the two versions of XP to go with. All comments are welcomed.

Dual processors != multi-cores.

Always go by the number of sockets when discussing multi-processor systems. Either version of XP would be able to utilize a quad-core processor.

All versions of Windows XP can handle multiple cores. It is only in regard to more traditional SMP setups with two physical processors in different sockets that the version of the OS chosen makes a difference. For the record Media Center 2005 supports dual processors as well as dual and quad core processors. Media Center uses the Windows XP Pro kernel/HAL and not the same one found in Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. You've just set me straight on a major misunderstanding.

Unless you are using it as a home entertainment system, computer setup in the living room with a TV tuner card, and TV guide listing etc. Don't think you'll really be interested in MCE.

Unless you are using it as a home entertainment system, computer setup in the living room with a TV tuner card, and TV guide listing etc. Don't think you'll really be interested in MCE.

Judging by the original poster's interest in the various media management softwares available I would think that is something the OP is interested in. I'm actually a big fan of Media Center myself and I've built a media center PC recently. Though I did so using Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition.

Judging by the original poster's interest in the various media management softwares available I would think that is something the OP is interested in. I'm actually a big fan of Media Center myself and I've built a media center PC recently. Though I did so using Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition.
Ah, so he is. Must have mixed posts up somewhere, thought I read he was only using it for video encoding and compiling videos.

I'm not really setting up a full blown home entertainment center, although I could, but I'll be connecting a second satellite receiver to my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800. I will then open a PiP on my monitor that allows me to keep track of football games and other programming while continuing to work the internet or other tasks.In addition to the tuner, the other resource hog which I hope the quad-core and overclocking will alleviate is my Pinnacle Studio.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Back