WindowsXP 64 install freezing

Wiseguy10k

n00b
Trying to install XP64 but everytime it freezes when it gets to "Loading/Starting Windows". XPpro installs fine. Any idea why this happens?

It's possible that the disc your installing with has a bad sector. It's also possible that you have a conflict with your hardware and something in xp64. Double check the requirements and search on www.microsoft.com/technet for that error("xp 64 freezes on install" or some such) and possibly try and get your hands on another disc.

I'm probably going to try to get another disc. I did leave it running since this morning just in case it was really slow. And I have searched on Microsoft.com for anything that could help. The only thing of any relevance was dual-booting XP64.

i see from your sig that you oc. i had some problems running xp 64 using the same oc that was fine in win xp. i dropped it to stock and the problems went away.

now i'm back to 90% of where i started and xp 64 is stable.

I dropped it back to stock settings and it still freezes. I tried installing it when I first built the system but it wouldn't work so the 32bit XP went in instead. I've tried it this morning now that I have a new disc.

hrmm.. check the windows hcl... something in your system isn't supported out of the box.

Maybe I just need a bios update. The current bios is dated sometime in January so I think it'd be a good idea to flash it to something more recent.

Yeah but doesn't XP64 have sata drivers. I'm not running a raid setup. Just got the one harddrive.

Is it at all possible to run XP64 setup without a cd? The partition is already formatted. So could it be done?

Even with new bios it still freezes at "Setup is starting Windows". I will definately need a new disc now.

Never mind I got it to work now. I used the disc I tried to install XP64 the first time and it worked. Why it worked now and not then is wierd but whatever.

So when is Vista/Longhorn coming out? I only have the trial cd of xp64 as I bought my system last week and didn't get XP with it(no money left over for it).

Ya know what? To hell with Xp64. It seems that no matter what I try to do it somehow breaks itself. If and when it does go through the setup it usually boots fine. But when I try to install the ATI drivers it restarts and gets stuck i during boot. It can't seem to get past acpitabl.dat. Maybe Vista will actually work when it is finally released.

Ok I was a bit angry there. It is just very frustrating a computer simply refuses to cooperate. I know it is the nature of the beast but still. I kinda expected more from a finished OS. Maybe I just need to install the chipset drivers frist before anything else. What order does everyone else take when installing windows?

Well that was odd. I ran chkdsk from XPpro and now XP64 boots. This is good. Assuming everything goes well I'll be looking for 64bit virus scanners and other apps.

Yeah I know I should have just edited the previous posts but I was angry at the time so I didn't much care if it looked like I was posting to myself. But I am still not pleased that XP64 would be so buggy. I thought it was finished or finished enough to work properly.

Back