Windows7 hotfix "This update provides new functionality and performance improvements"

Mr Mean

[H]ard|Gawd
This article describes an update for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. This update is a separate package of changes that must be installed in addition to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. This update provides new functionality and performance improvements for the graphics platform.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028560

Installed it no problem. Going to test some games :)

Windows 7 SP1 beta users already have this update.

Supposedly boosts AvP performance a lot (and presumably other DX11 games, though I saw no change in BC2)

i didn't see any difference so i fired up unigine to see if got a different score but i had to do .01 vore bump or i would get a DLL crash a different driver error then i would get before on an unstable OC on stress test. played 3 hours of BFBC2 dx11, noticed no different in feel and unigine scored just few points different so no notable change with gtx460 win7 64.

basically the change i noticed a different error when stress testing gpu at previously stable OC, only .01 vcore was needed run same test as before.

None of the files updated appear to be DX11 related, so wondering how this can increase DX11 performance?

Actually nowhere does it state will improve DX11 performance, it simply states 'This update provides new functionality and performance improvements for the graphics platform', which might as well mean onboard gfx, or 2d or anything.

Overview

This update provides performance improvements for the graphics platform. You should also install this update to support features in an upcoming release of an Internet Explorer 9 platform preview build. After you install this item, you may need to restart your computer.

Must be to prepare people for IE9?

Got some dissapointing results.

Using CAT 10.8 drvers with CAP 10.8a.

Modern Warfare 2 = No change
Lefe 4 Dead 1 = No change
Left 4 Dead 2 = No change
Team Fortress 2 = No change
Battlefield Bad Company 2 = No change
Starcraft 2 = No change

I don't run any synthetic benchmarks. But I assume people who do, probably got some minor point increase (lets hope no a decrease).

This patch does not appear to have anything related to 3d game performance. The files changed are for WARP, Direct2D and DirectWrite. If anything, it's something for Internet Explorer 9 and/or improvements to WARP.

Back