Windows XP x64 - Doesn't shut down fully.

Hi all, this is my first post here so let me know if I need to add any more detail to this.

I have installed XP 64 bit on my pc. It is a ASUS P5V-VM SE DH mobo, socket 775 with a Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB RAM. I installed all MS updates which included SP2. I downloaded all the latest ASUS drivers as I have misplaced the CD that came with the mobo. Also installed Open Office full version.

I have also installed Ubuntu 7.1 on a second partition, and done all the updates.

The problem is that Windows refuses to shut down. It will go through the motions and I get the "Windows is shutting down" screen, then the HDD shuts down but the PC remains on with the monitor still on the "Windows is shutting down" screen.

Windows will restart properly and also the Sleep mode works fine. Ubuntu will also shut down correctly.

I don't know what to do with this, any ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Type msconfig in the run box and shutdown each auto-loading prog one at a time and try shutting down. Only do one at at time until you find out which prog is cauising it. This may not be the issue for sure but quite often that issue is caused by an auto-loading prog that won't close cleanly. It could also be caused by a bad driver for soundcard, video card etc.

Back