Windows XP x64 BSOD during installs...

Shock_Hunter

Limp Gawd
I have installed x64 a few times but never had this problem, Basically if my X2 3800+ is overclocked 2500MHz+ I keep getting the BSOD but in XP SP2 its doing 2750MHz prime stable and passes memtest86.

I've also tried it on a overclocked venice and toledo core overclocked to around the same (2700MHz) same level and have never had this problem... any ideas what might be causing this ?

I get the same maximum overclock with my X2 3800+ in both XP and XP x64, for use or installation: 2.55GHz @ 1.375v. Is your HT setting any different between the two? I back down to 4x to keep HT @ 1020MHz, and the memory ratio lower to run it at 212MHz.

pxc said:
I get the same maximum overclock with my X2 3800+ in both XP and XP x64, for use or installation: 2.55GHz @ 1.375v. Is your HT setting any different between the two? I back down to 4x to keep HT @ 1020MHz, and the memory ratio lower to run it at 212MHz.

Its only set to 3. But I know it shouldnt effect the max overclock as I've installed it before... :confused: :(

I've seen many many threads in the past where people had to go back to clock speeds to install XP, and then ramp back up to their OC'ed speeds. Most OCing guides suggest this as well, if XP won't install at the high speeds.

Well I installed it at the lower speeds and everything went fine but as soon as I bump the speeds back up it bluescreens before getting into windows... SP2 install still fine as usual.. :confused:

well ..maybe ..just maybe .. your proc isnt really as stable as you would like to think at that speed .. prime isnt the "be-all" in determining overall stability .. :)

..be a little logical in your trouble shooting ..if all is good at slower speed ..and then all is not so good at higher speed ..then hmm .. 2 + 2 aint gonna equal 5 no matter how hard you try

so either run slower , or try some stuff ,like more voltage to your proc or better cooling ..etc, to try and get your higher clocks stabled out

[F]old|[H]ard

ThreeDee said:
well ..maybe ..just maybe .. your proc isnt really as stable as you would like to think at that speed .. prime isnt the "be-all" in determining overall stability .. :)

..be a little logical in your trouble shooting ..if all is good at slower speed ..and then all is not so good at higher speed ..then hmm .. 2 + 2 aint gonna equal 5 no matter how hard you try

so either run slower , or try some stuff ,like more voltage to your proc or better cooling ..etc, to try and get your higher clocks stabled out

[F]old|[H]ard

But nobody has experience this problem, I have never experienced this problem, I have two other sytems right here running x64 at the same overclocked settings with no problems at all..... .. I might accept it if there was a small reduction in the overclock but 250MHz is quite big.. And no x64 is barely worth upgraded any system to anyway so i'm not going to be underclocking a system to get to run.. That would be a complete waste,.

Increasing volts makes no difference at all....

im no expert but if cooling is the issue,

are the other x64 running in the exact same setup (cases, fans, etc)

pxc said:
How about running Memtest86+ on it at 2.75GHz? http://www.memtest.org/ Get the bootable ISO.

I have a feeling it's not x64 that's the problem.

It passes. I've left it overnight previously at these settings.. Having x64 installed will make no difference to that result. .. :p

im no expert but if cooling is the issue,

are the other x64 running in the exact same setup (cases, fans, etc)

One of them almost is, the setup below.. Its using the Lian-Li PC-7(silver) and the X2 3800+ is in the black version with the 7800GTX. Same fans in both.

The other is slightly older , a 3500+@2600 with an nforce3 mobo.

Back