WIndows XP won't boot after driver uninstall

Slawek

Limp Gawd
I don't know how else to say this: HEEEELP!

I have a Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe TV tuner, and I decided to go see if there are updated drivers. I found that there are, so I downloaded them, and extracted the files. I noticed an UNINSTALL directory, so I went in there, ran the program, and it searches your computer for current drivers to uninstall so you can do a clean driver upgrade.

No big deal right?

Well after uninstalling the drivers, I rebooted Win XP to have it find new hardware and all that stuff... well as it starts to load the WinXP logo, it reboots. It cycles doing this, always crashing 2 seconds into the logo boot. I unplugged the TV card, same shit. I tried booting in Safe Mode, same stuff after it tries to load all files.

I tried doing a repair using Windows setup, it copies all files, does the install successfully, but then after rebooting it crashes at the same point.

I don't want to format so I need to know how to restore WinXP again without losing my settings, My Documents, etc...

I tried installing a new WinXP under a different directory, but it crashes during install...

Everything was FINE before uninstalling the damn driver....

Any suggestions?

A few more details...

I downloaded driver 5.13.1.2713 from

http://leadtek.com/usa/support/download.asp?downlineid=63&downline=WinFast+TV2000+XP+Deluxe

When I extracted the file, I went to Uninstall directory, and ran LTDRVCLNSWP.EXE. It brings up a menu asking the following, and I cleaned it using both.. first the recommended, then the expert.

After rebooting, I can't get past the logo anymore....

leadtek.jpg

No Safe Mode? That is always a bad thing.

Have you tried running the repair console and restoring the last Restore Point?

I am also confused by your last post- were you able to boot Windows? How did you take that screenshot?????
You said you tried running the driver- which means you are in Windows.
But then you said you still can't get past the logo... which is it?

I dont know the command to go to a last restore point.

That screenshot was taken from another computer. I downloaded the file and ran it and took a screenshot so you guys could see what I'm talking about.

My computer is still Fubared. It wont go past the logo, it starts to load, and as it fades in it reboots. Safe mode too, it loads all these files then before it loads into windows it reboots. Constant cycle.

I bought another little crappy 160gb HDD and I'm installing WinXP on it now..

Stupidest shit I've ever heard of.. how can a driver uninstall on a fucking TV card screw my entire system?? I'm buying a Mac next time.

I know how ya feel...just this weekend I spent hours upon hours from recovering my installations. Windows installing on one hard disk decided to corrupt the installation on another hard drive.

The things that upset me the most with Windows are the glaring design flaws that can obviously be solved by talented people at MS.

For instance, why does Windows always have to re-write the MBR on a systems primary disk NO MATTER WHAT. Why can't I at least have this option, as Unix and many other operating systems have for release after release.

Corporate policy is probably to blame. MS wants you to use Windows, and thats about it.

As soon as game developers are able to utilize Linux as a viable, profitable platform, its over for Windows. I am currently quad-booting now, Vista (32), XP (32 + 64) and openSUSE 10.2. Linux is getting better and better with each distibution improving with every new release. Being a computer science student I love tinkering with Linux, as well as Windows, but now I see it starting to become a platform that normal users can use and adapt to. Ubuntu is doing pretty damn good in that department.

SUSE is my favorite, hands down. Believe it or not, it runs Quake 4 (one of the few native Linux games, kudos to Caramack and iD) better than Vista.

Anyway, good luck with the install :)

Back