Windows XP with SP 2 ....two hundred bucks!??!

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
So my dad says he's had it the dell and wants me to format it and clean all the stuff off. But, of course, he can't find his system recovery cd. He doesn't want to wait and go through all the Dell crap to get another one and I told him getting an XP cd was the best step, I told him it would cost 80, maybe a hundred bucks, he said "That's fine just get it done I can't take it anymore".

I figure I'll stop by circuit city or target on the way to his house and grab one and I check on their web sites....XP home edition with SP2 is 200 bucks? Major Wtfage people...any explanation on this? Am I better off just letting him use my key then ordering one of newegg and registering that one when it gets in, in a few days?

Just call Dell and ask for them to send you the CD. If it's a Dell made in the last few years, you can restore from the recovery partition right on the hard drive. Press Crtl-F11 when the blue Dell line is on the screen.

Its that price instore because its a retail copy. the version you see at newegg is a OEM. OEM is always cheaper, has less support and upgrade features.

As pxc stated if its a newer Dell, it will have an factory image stored on a seperate partition. Pressing ctrl+f11 will load the pre desktop to restore from that image.

I'm curious to know what sector your dad purchased his dell under. You should be able to call up and have the cds sent to you.

Sorry to thread-jack but do Dell send out replacement disks for their PC's?

Sorry to thread-jack but do Dell send out replacement disks for their PC's?

Do you mean cds? Depending on the age of the system you can get any cds you want if you never recieved them, or maybe even just lost them. If the system is too old and you need like 2000 Pro, then no.

I have like 40 Dell XP cd's laying around. In fact I just threw about 50 of them away. My work has a site license with MS, and our dell comes with our image + unwrapped cd's with XP SP2 pro....

Dell sends them in for free. Trust me they will. I have done it twice.

I have like 40 Dell XP cd's laying around. In fact I just threw about 50 of them away. My work has a site license with MS, and our dell comes with our image + unwrapped cd's with XP SP2 pro....

I will pay shippingdoing it for the lulz!

:p

Back