Windows XP will not shut down...

TeK-FX

Limp Gawd
As the title says Windows XP will not shut down. The only way I can do it is to go to switch users and then shut down from the link in the bottom left. The normal way responds by doing nothing at all. As if I never told it to shut down. It won't hibernate or restart either. I have even tried through the Task Manager with no luck. Hopefully someone will have some answers. Thank you ahead of time. :)

Usually, that means you have a process hanging that won't cooperate and shut down. Go into your Task Manager, and kill one process at a time (non system, essential processes) and then try to shut down after each one. I've often written down the name of each as I've closed it, so I know what the offender is.

you can also google xp won't shut down. I think I found a fix for it before on there.

you can also try pressnig (not holding) the power button

on some computes it will immediatly send windows the shutdown operation

Install Microsoft's UPHClean, it's meant to help stopping hang processes on shutdown. (It unlocks stuck files and registry keys, IIRC) I install it on every systems I have, as it usually reduces the shut down time quite a lot.

If it doesn't work, run chkdsk, Dial-a-fix and CCleaner (don't forget the registry cleaner in CCleaner). Simple regular maintenance software usually fixes lots of problems.

Back