Windows Xp, when vista comes out, and what will happen

2gigs

[H]ard|Gawd
What will happen many of you wonder, i predict this

It will become obsolete
The activation servers will go down, forcing people to buy vista
Will cut off updates, and one last one will disable features saying you have to move to vista

Scary things,

now who thinks these will happen,

1 and 2 i can almost gurantee

3. it may happen

Not for a few years yet. It might slow down on the updates a bit, but not stop altogether right away. If they ever get to IE8, that might have an impact on XP, but that would be a ways off.

2gigs said:
Scary things,

3. it may happen

And this is based on what? The way they dropped support for Win2K after XP came out? :rolleyes:

and i just started getting XP to run the way i wanted it too.... isnt it always the case...

Every OS becomes obsolete.

It's not like they're going to throw a switch and all of the sudden new licenses of XP will be impossible to activate. This is pure speculation on my part, but i wouldn't be surprised if the activation servers are the same across OS's and Office versions.

They don't make updates for Win98 anymore, does anyone complain about that?

MS knows that not everyone is going to upgrade to Vista right away. Some people might never. My old school just moved from Win98 to XP a year ago, i'm sure they're going to skip over Vista.

Spamming again, I see.

Windows 2000 is supported for...what? Three more years? XP is supposed to supported something like five years after Vista's release.

This is nothing more than a weak attempt at spreading FUD and anti-MS rumors.

You forgot to call it Micro$haft Windoze.

Do people really think microsoft is evil? If they did something like that they wouldn't even exist. Please stop posting.

i never said it was going to happen, but i would put my money on it that they would eventually do that

2gigs said:
i never said it was going to happen, but i would put my money on it that they would eventually do that

Well of corse they will eventually do that. You don't see them still supporting Windows 3.11 or Microsoft BOB do you? :p

I would imagine that you'll be able to activate XP for many, many more years that you'll have the urge to. As an example, you can still download tons of fixes and crap for NT 4. Sure, none of them are new, but they didn't nuke the servers that held the info just because NT 4 is an out-dated pile of shit did they? ;)

F1xxer said:
Well of corse they will eventually do that. You don't see them still supporting Windows 3.11 or Microsoft BOB do you? :p

I would imagine that you'll be able to activate XP for many, many more years that you'll have the urge to. As an example, you can still download tons of fixes and crap for NT 4. Sure, none of them are new, but they didn't nuke the servers that held the info just because NT 4 is an out-dated pile of shit did they? ;)
hell, they wont discontinue that becuase way too many bank platforms run on that, and watch them move to linux, and thare slowly moving to XP anyway

either way, i think the activation thing will go down the crapper, and noone can use XP

Of course it will happen, but MS is not a stupid company. They won't just stop XP updates and make it so everyone has to upgrade to Vista immediately. Because that would be stupid. Upgrades will be necessary for everyone eventually but XP will be good for another 4 or 5 years.

PopeKevinI said:
Spamming again, I see.

Windows 2000 is supported for...what? Three more years? XP is supposed to supported something like five years after Vista's release.

This is nothing more than a weak attempt at spreading FUD and anti-MS rumors.

You forgot to call it Micro$haft Windoze.

thank you.

2gigs said:
What will happen many of you wonder, i predict this

It will become obsolete
The activation servers will go down, forcing people to buy vista
Will cut off updates, and one last one will disable features saying you have to move to vista

Scary things,

3. it may happen
<sigh> F U D :rolleyes:

Back